Notices
VENGEANCE - The Curmudgeons Revenge JK Build This forum is dedicated to our good friend HappyCurmudgeon who recently lost his fight against Sarcoma Cancer. Information on how you can help provide hope for his family can be found here.

Let VENGEANCE be Yours - Bidding Starts Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
Raffles are a form of Gambling and are therefore illegal. Only some types of non-profit organizations can have raffles. This was answered on earlier pages
this is why you transfer the title to someone wholives in another state besides comifornia. This could allow the rig to be raffled off and title transfered legally. The whole point of this is to raise more money for his daughter. You make it possible for this to raffle, and without a doubt I know a forum of people that wouldnt have issues at least paying $25 to enter their name into that contest. If only 1,000 people bought 1 ticket at lets say $25, thats $25,000. Place this rig at every large event across the US, collect $25 a raffl ticket, you would easily turn this into a $100,000+ sale. I know this is a great cause and without a doubt I would love the chance to purchase this rig, but bidding only goes so high. And thats all about who has the deepest wallet and the free income, im instantly out of the running on that one. But i do have $100-$200 on raffle tickets I could spare.

Either way beautiful rig, nice work guys and thanks for doing this for his little girl. His memory will carry on with this rig and his daughters education.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default raffle ticket

I agree with the raffle tickets. Its easier to find lots of people with $25(JK-forum members) then it is to find people willing to spend the kind money that you want to raise for his family. Either way best of luck. If you do sell tickets let me know where I can buy them.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JkHauler
this is why you transfer the title to someone wholives in another state besides comifornia. This could allow the rig to be raffled off and title transfered legally. The whole point of this is to raise more money for his daughter. You make it possible for this to raffle, and without a doubt I know a forum of people that wouldnt have issues at least paying $25 to enter their name into that contest. If only 1,000 people bought 1 ticket at lets say $25, thats $25,000. Place this rig at every large event across the US, collect $25 a raffl ticket, you would easily turn this into a $100,000+ sale. I know this is a great cause and without a doubt I would love the chance to purchase this rig, but bidding only goes so high. And thats all about who has the deepest wallet and the free income, im instantly out of the running on that one. But i do have $100-$200 on raffle tickets I could spare.

Either way beautiful rig, nice work guys and thanks for doing this for his little girl. His memory will carry on with this rig and his daughters education.
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress
I agree with the raffle tickets. Its easier to find lots of people with $25(JK-forum members) then it is to find people willing to spend the kind money that you want to raise for his family. Either way best of luck. If you do sell tickets let me know where I can buy them.
We'd love to do a raffle and have looked into it extensively and found that it simply cannot be done legally as it is a form of lotterly. If you are an expert on the matter, know things that we don't and you'd like to help us to set up one legally, we'd be most grateful.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

How about this.

Purchase and set up a new forum that everyone would have to pay to join. Say $25 per person, or you could have different levels of membership that cost different amounts (I'll get more into this later). Then within this forum, that only paying members can access, you hold a sweepstakes give away. No purchase necessary. Just post up in the sweepstakes thread and your name is entered in the hat. That way you are not paying for a raffle ticket, you are paying for access to the site. All site proceeds would obviously go to Kens Family.

Now if you have people that want a better chance at it (like buying more raffle tickets for a raffle) you could have different levels of memberships that increase you odds in the sweepstakes.

Example or something along these lines:

Bronze membership $25 Basic site access
Silver membership $50 Basic site access + Double your chances in any sweepstakes
Gold membership $75 Premium site access + Triple your chances in any sweepstakes
Platinum membership $100 Full site access + 4x you chance at any sweepstakes.

Wouldn't this be possible, or am I over simplifying things and missing something?

Last edited by Nelly; 11-19-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Nelly
How about this.

Purchase and set up a new forum that everyone would have to pay to join. Say $25 per person, or you could have different levels of membership that cost different amounts (I'll get more into this later). Then within this forum, that only paying members can access, you hold a sweepstakes give away. No purchase necessary. Just post up in the sweepstakes thread and your name is entered in the hat. That way you are not paying for a raffle ticket, you are paying for access to the site. All site proceeds would obviously go to Kens Family.

Now if you have people that want a better chance at it (like buying more raffle tickets for a raffle) you could have different levels of memberships that increase you odds in the sweepstakes.

Example or something along these lines:

Bronze membership $25 Basic site access
Silver membership $50 Basic site access + Double your chances in any sweepstakes
Gold membership $75 Premium site access + Triple your chances in any sweepstakes
Platinum membership $100 Full site access + 4x you chance at any sweepstakes.

Wouldn't this be possible, or am I over simplifying things and missing something?
I'm no lawyer but, this still sounds a lot like you have to pay to play and that's the inherent problem. I do appreciate everyone taking an interest in raising as much money for this as possible but, I think we're just going to have to stick to what we know will keep us out of trouble. It is unfortunate but, I think our hands are tied on this.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Check it out, VENGEANCE gets a couple of cameo's in this 2012 SEMA Hottest 4x4 video highlight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tFm8m5o1gK0
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

There has to be a lawyer or 2 on here. I thought you could raffle without getting hugely taxed, if ALL proceeds went to charity.

...Now if there was a charity for his daughters college fund..

Now im no lawyer, just think there could be a loophole somewhere.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Krawlersaur
There has to be a lawyer or 2 on here. I thought you could raffle without getting hugely taxed, if ALL proceeds went to charity.

...Now if there was a charity for his daughters college fund..

Now im no lawyer, just think there could be a loophole somewhere.
i personally know 2 lawyers and have consulted them on the matter. unless you know something they don't, i can assure you it doesn't work like that. believe me, if there were a way to make this work, it's how we would have preferred to do things.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I'm no lawyer but, this still sounds a lot like you have to pay to play and that's the inherent problem. I do appreciate everyone taking an interest in raising as much money for this as possible but, I think we're just going to have to stick to what we know will keep us out of trouble. It is unfortunate but, I think our hands are tied on this.
My recommendation would be the following.
1) market the heck out of this thing. Market online, radio stations, jeep dealerships, banner ads, etc. go outside the jk forum community.
2) there are people who put their house up for auction if they need to get out of it. This leads me to think there are companies / websites that would host the auction and have the expertise to reach as many people as possible.
3) set the raffle period to something like 6 months.
4) set up a not for profit org and have that org buy the jeep for $1.
5) purchase a directors and officers policy for the CEO of this Org.
6) the product you are giving away has a tremendous cool value. Open it up to a greater population and keep the ticket costs to a reasonable amount.
7) I would tend to think that if you did this "correctly" that you could see 100k or more. We can certainly debate what is the correct way, but I think you would be selling yourself short if you didn't open this jeep up to as great a population of people as you can.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I made an error in the above post. You can go the raffle route if the raffle is being held in a state where raffles are legal.
Here are the states and additional info about raffle laws.
What are the raffle laws of each state? | Raffle FAQ

If the state you prefer to do this in doesn't permit raffles, then hold an auction. I personally would rather do the raffle or an auction in Texas.

Quick Reply: Let VENGEANCE be Yours - Bidding Starts Tuesday, December 11, 2012