Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Your new/my new (or old for that matter jeep)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your new/my new (or old for that matter jeep)

What type of performance (off road...articulation...etc) can be expected from the Ruby v. the X? In other words, if I have an X should I only keep it on light ofroad trails- dirt, pebbles, curbs for better parking- no rox - forever unless Mod'ed. If I have the Ruby, then only stones and bolders of a certain height?

Is the Sahara merely a more comfortable (interior) ride than the X?

Bottom Line I guess is that I appreciatte ANY help, I have been researching jeeps for 4 months and change and beggining to shop for one now. Thinking Ruby, then BB., 35's, and wheels for this years mods. I live in Miami Florida (i know sux for owning a Jeep-izzle) and this will be my vehicle to and from work and rarely offroaded. BUT, with friends in Mich. Tex. Co. Nv. etc... theres no telling what offroad trips I will take her on. I plan on doing one road trip to the rox/trails per year. So basically, this thing will be on the road until I need it capable and competant for 1 solid week. Also plan on keeping her forever (maybe a him, havent been introduced yet...depends right! lol). I know this is long winded, but its coming down to game time. Armed with jeep dreams, glad to be apart of JK country and meet all of ya.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get what you can afford and build it up over time. Yes the Rubi is the most capable from the dealer, but alot of people buy one and never use its full potential. You can build an X or sport up to be great off road, that is up to you. My X has the swaybar disconnect and rear locker with 35's and its pretty capable off road. Get what you want and make it your own, thats what is great about the Wrangler.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

There is a HUGE price difference between the X and the Rubi, are you looking at new or used? I did exactly what you're doing this past spring, in the end it came down to the warrintee.(married ,one boy , house,ect,) I was looking at auto trader twice a day for an 2008, unlimited , modded , for between 25k and30k and there were a few but when it came time to purchase we went with the fully new loaded 09. I knew that my mods would be done over the first year or two and with the Rubi they would be minimal,2.5 lift,bumper, winch, and lights, thats all I've got planed cuz the Rubi is already extremely off-roadable.
If you go with the x you will save a bunch of money up front but then you will need to mod it heavely to get it to Rubi standards, and it's not drivable while it's getting that new whatever put on.
It's a personal choice. If I was single with the same amount of money at hand I would have gone with the x and built it to the moon, but alas I'm 43 with a real life and a real income and real responsibilitys.
The Rubi is a great DD and a great off roader right off the showroom floor.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

i love my 44's, 4.10's, 4:1 low range, bfg muds, and not having to mess with muddy swaybar disconnect after a run. oh, and it was all stock. the extra money up front was well worth it in my opinion. go with the rubi
Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, if you are going to do large modifications galore, and you have limited cash up front, then go with the X. The simple difference in price will give cash for 1-3 significant mods (Hemi aside).

If you plan on making modest mods over time ( so you want maximum offroad performance out-of-the box), you plan on doing heavy offroading (rocks, cliffs, etc) or you have cash to spare go with the Rubi. It is a solid choice.

If you really are going to keep to it forever (that is what I said of my TJ, but time has it way of changing things), then build it from the ground up; exactly the way you want it.

Either way enjoy your build!
Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Some say that a good Jeep is built and not bought. I disagree. Its your Jeep, get what you want and make it your own. I am married, have two young children and I do not want to spend all my weekends in my garage turning wrenches on my Jeep. When it was time to get a JK, deciding to get a Rubi was an easy decision. My Jeep is a DD and I cannot have it torn apart in my garage waiting for me to complete my mod work. Yes they are more $$ up front than an X so that is a factor. A bone stock Rubi is a very capable off roader and can be driven from the showroom floor straight onto the trail no problem. If you get a Rubi you get a factory warranty on all the wheeling gear that you would not otherwise get if you buy an X and add aftermarket components.

There is no wrong answer to your situation, its a personal choice based on what you are going to do with the Jeep, your interest and skill level in doing mods yourself, along with time and financial constraints.

Quick Reply: Your new/my new (or old for that matter jeep)