Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Yet ANOTHER spring question

Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Yet ANOTHER spring question

So, long story short, there's some stock springs I'm looking at (hey, KlausVanwinkle!) from an '18 Unlimited Rubi-Recon. The info on these seems to be a little sparse, so hoping maybe somebody has done this particular swap (or something close to it) and can provide some insights into expected changes in ride height, on-road comfort, etc.

Current: 2-door Rubicon with FRONT: 52126314AC; and REAR: 68004256AA
Proposed change is to 4-door springs: FRONT: 68196006AA and REAR: 68196009AA (Unless it's the other way around)

I'm hoping to compensate for added weight from gear, steel bumpers, winch, etc. and gain just a touch of height while I'm at it, maybe enough to stuff some 35's under there with some fender trimming and/or some cheap spacers.

Info appreciated, and sorry if I missed this thread somewhere else!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yep, that combination will net you the height you're in search of. It isn't a huge difference (like a full 2.5" coil lift), but it will get you where you want to be. I went from 14/55's to 19/60's.

When my jeep was new that's what I did. Stubby bumper, trimmed rubi rails, trimmed pinch seam, 35's with stock wheels and wheel spacers. Further down the line I went to a lift with all of the bits and pieces, and trimmed flares for more intense wheeling.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool, thanks Karl. Trying to avoid trimming metal if I can, and plan on getting some aftermarket wheels instead of spacers when it comes time for new tires (full sets are readily available on Craigslist for reasonable prices). My current tires are getting worn out, and I just want to make sure that when I need new ones, I can get them in the size I want, so looking for a relatively cheap temporary fix. I plan on going for a full set of coils, shocks, control arms, etc. when budget allows, but that may be a ways off as a full kit is not cheap.

Was just out playing in the dirt at Hollister Hills, and every single time I got stuck, it was lack of clearance either due to deep ruts, or inadequate break-over angle. Whole underside has a fresh new coat of scrapes and dents.

Gotta fix that geometry...
Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I started with just the coils, then added shocks, then disconnects (adjustable), then from there just pieced it all together. I'm now on something closer to a mid-level Metalcloak lift but without the price. The control arms don't necessarily need replacement as they're very nice for a daily. I cheated there with the AEV brackets. The naysayers will come out in hordes and shun me for the brackets but for my use (and most of the members here, whether they admit it or not) work really well and at a much cheaper price point.

I'd find you pictures of x,y,z as I progressed through the stages but they're not on my phone. The metal trimming was necessary for the older jeeps before they started trimming the pinch seam from the factory.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, looks like KlausVanWinkle sold his springs while I was on vacation... so will have to find some other cheap method of stuffing 35's before I can't put off new tires anymore. Ah well, I'll keep my eyes open, I'm sure something else will turn up! And if not, there's always spacers...

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER spring question