Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Write up: Soft Brake Pedal? ABS Module Bleed (J-Scan)

Old 09-09-2021, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Excellent write up!! Thanks for posting this, it should be a sticky!

Correction… it is a sticky.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:57 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I know Mr.T has Jscan mentioned in his sticky, but this app has really come so far that we almost need a sticky that compiles all the Jscan functionality. This app gets more and more impressive to me for such a low cost. I pretty much have it just for diagnostics as it's faster than my BlueDriver on the jeep, but I'm going to start taking more advantage of what it has to offer.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

If you do a sticky for Jscan, do you do one all encompassing thread, or do you maybe add a new section so that each individual function gets its own thread. The only problem I see with one all encompassing thread is that it can get real long and convoluted with all kinds of replies. Especially if you are trying to search for one specific function that Jscan does.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by chiapeteater
If you do a sticky for Jscan, do you do one all encompassing thread, or do you maybe add a new section so that each individual function gets its own thread. The only problem I see with one all encompassing thread is that it can get real long and convoluted with all kinds of replies. Especially if you are trying to search for one specific function that Jscan does.
I'm thinking 1 thread that in the main post has links to individual write ups like what you guys did. so for example:

ABS Brake Module Bleed Procedure with Jscan: https://bit.ly/3yWFViJ

Centering You Steering Wheel with Jscan: https://bit.ly/3A3AakA

As people documented more things the main post could be edited with the new link added. Maybe I'll do that this weekend if I get around to it.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I purchased the BlueDriver before Jscan came out and have continued to use it for diagnostics trouble shooting. At this point purely out of habit. I likely need to start using Jscan for that purpose as well. Jscan is pretty awesome and their support is good as well.

While performing this abs bleed I had to reach out to them in regards to clarify which was the "right side" of the vehicle and inform them about the communications error scenario I kept running into. They got back to me right away and let me know right was passenger's side and stated , "we should probably put a message in there to let everyone know what to do when that happens. " So now in my pics I see they later added to cycle the ignition. I originally figured out on my own that using the restart all ECUs also worked to fix the problem. Both essentially are restarting the ABS module.

What I'm definitely done using is my Superchips F5 FlashPaq. Jscan works way better than that thing and is wireless, and cost much less. I think I mentioned 7 years ago someone really needs to make a wireless smartphone programmer. So glad Jscan delivered.

Originally Posted by resharp001
I know Mr.T has Jscan mentioned in his sticky, but this app has really come so far that we almost need a sticky that compiles all the Jscan functionality. This app gets more and more impressive to me for such a low cost. I pretty much have it just for diagnostics as it's faster than my BlueDriver on the jeep, but I'm going to start taking more advantage of what it has to offer.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-12-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I swapped my front calipers back yesterday, so they're back in the correct positions. Did a couple ABS bleeds following that and everything is perfect now! Definitely, feels great no longer having to get into my JK and pump the brakes to ensure the pedal is firm.

Updated my write-up image to show proper front caliper orientation as well.

Thanks @resharp001 for pointing that out.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kind of confused...So, are the passenger side calipers the only ones to be bled during the ABS autobleed? My J-Scan never mentions anything about cracking the driver side bleeders open.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

I was able to do the ABS bleed all by myself. I simply wedged a plank of wood between the brake and the driver seat. The pedal doesn't move up that much, and is enough for foam to compress. Didn't see any air bubbles come out though, so ABS must have been fine (no air). I had my brake fluid reservoir run completely dry (blew a brake hose), so thought maybe ABS would have swallowed some air - it did not.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by darrengee
I'm kind of confused...So, are the passenger side calipers the only ones to be bled during the ABS autobleed? My J-Scan never mentions anything about cracking the driver side bleeders open.
I was confused myself, but I bled all 4 wheels as it wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Lots of confusion as JScan says in Step 1/2 to go to "Right Side" but OP is saying "Driver Side". Had to look as thought you might have been from Australia or England.

Quick Reply: Write up: Soft Brake Pedal? ABS Module Bleed (J-Scan)