Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wow .. my Ticking is Gone !!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow .. my Ticking is Gone !!

The last time I took my JK off-roading it developed a ticking noise behind the dash on the driver side. I figured I cracked the exhaust manifold going through some deep water or while I was pressure washing out the my engine compartment. It was really annoying having my JK sound like a 10 year old used Hyundai car. The ticking changed with engine RPM and I even talked to dealer about it and was planning on dropping it off to have them check it out.

I was out looking at it again this past weekend and noticed the plastic steering column bushing had slipped about 1.5 inches out of the hole in the firewall. I took a small hammer and knocked it back in as far as it would go. To my surprised the ticking behind the dash is gone! And my Jeep now sounds like it did when I drove it off the lot. Yes ... it still ticks in the engine compartment due to the load injectors or whatever ... but the interior is quiet again!

Just a tip for anyone hearing ticking from behind the dash area that you never heard before ... check that plastic bushing.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Tighten up a hose clamp on the steering shaft right behind the firewall to keep the bushing from slipping out again.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Bet it stopped the clunk in your steering wheel/accelerator pedal too!

Quick Reply: Wow .. my Ticking is Gone !!