Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Would you?....

Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure it's a real Rubi
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are certainly at least an equal amount of problems with the 6 speed. Get the auto.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Auto

Looking at it from the other side of the fence, it would it would take a deal like that get me to buy a stick. I have an auto and the way I got it was through seat of the pants experiences. The auto just out performs the stick in mud and rock. I was on the fence until owners of both went out trail running and they proved to me the auto was superior and even the manual owners had to admit that when they got tired of there knuckles dragging on the ground they would bow to common sense and get autos. Most of the people that get manuals just flat out enjoy that type of driving experience and you have to weight that out. Do you enjoy shifting or do you want a vehicle which has a little better performance on the trail? Now what makes the best fit for You???

Last edited by KMHENRY77; 04-17-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KMHENRY77
Looking at it from the other side of the fence, it would it would take a deal like that get me to buy a stick. I have an auto and the way I got it was through seat of the pants experiences. The auto just out performs the stick in mud and rock. I was on the fence until owners of both went out trail running and they proved to me the auto was superior and even the manual owners had to admit that when the got tired of there knuckles dragging on the ground they would bow to common sense and get autos. Most of the people that get manuals just flat out enjoy that type of driving experience and you have to weight that out. Do you enjoy shifting or do you want a vehicle which has a little better performance on the trail?
This could turn into quite the debate.

Is there really more performance from the automatic? Or is it more convenience. I'm sure on the rocks, throwing out factors such as clutch from the mix is a huge help. It's less tiring, I'm sure, and gives you more attention span to watch your line.

Some, however, may find the manual as an added challenge, and find themselves more rewarded after a difficult climb.

Personally, my Jeep will be seeing 90% on-road time, if not more. So, a stick was the right choice for me, as I find them more enjoyable. Sure, an Auto is a lot more convenient in traffic, or in precarious off road trails... but the Stick is a lot more fun for me overall.

(Granted, I can barely drive the thing on flat roads without jerking around... so offroad I'd be screwed! )
Old 04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Choices

Well put Wayland1985!
It depends on the amount of challenge you desire.
Earlier this month I ran some of the trials at Tellico and I would have had to change my diaper more than the dozen times I did if it weren't for the auto trans.
On the Guardrail I felt so confident I stopped my climb to help my wife find a Dramamine. If it would have been a manual transmission I would have never wanted to try to stop, then she would have just had to barf.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

For me Auto would be a dealbreaker. I am just too used to driving a manual. However, if you don't have to have a manual there are a few perks to the auto aside from the price: Better for stop and go traffic, easier for wheeling and towing. In the end you need to decide if you can live with an auto. If not than don't consider it regardless of the savings.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Henthorn
Just found an awesome 2007 Rubicon for $22500! Perfect condition with only 9,150 miles!

Its the darker red color and only has the soft top. No mods but tires are in great shape(probably never been off road)....

but..........................

It has an Auto Tranny..

Question:

If you had a choice between the aformentioned rubi with an auto or another rubi with a stick for $3000 more--with 11k on it and simular condition, would it be worth it to buy the stick???
Do it, that is a good deal...Autos work great on the trail...I put a 350 & TH350 in my FJ40 just for doing the Rubicon. Slush boxes are great on rock/technical...
Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nclehmann
You had me going until.....auto tranny. That's an absolute deal-breaker for me. Sorry.
x2
Old 04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The only Jeep I've ever bought with an auto trans was my 04' liberty. Drove it for a while and just hated it (wife drives it now). Drove my buddy's 07' 4 door (auto), same thing, just didn't like the engine response (or lack there of).
When it was time to order my 08' Rubi.....Never had a second thought!!! I got to have my "skinny pedal"
I'd go for the 6 speed.....I love mine

Just my humble opinion,

Tony
Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Freak

if it were me(which its not, obviously) I would go with the stick. I have only driven an auto for the first 7 yrs of my driving(I am only 24 btw)...........

When I got my JK i went with the 6spd........... I will never have another auto

Quick Reply: Would you?....