Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Worn out U-Joint problem

Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn out U-Joint problem

Alright so I lifted my 2008 2dr Rubicon this past summer 4" and put 35's on it. Recently there has been a clicking noise when driving around and I tried to find out the problem, but could come to no solution. I finally took it to the dealership and got the problem diagnosed for a hefty 130$ charge . The problem is, they said the u-joints on the front axle have gone bad, and that I would need a new front axle! They said that the stock oem u-joints could not be ordered separately from the axle which is why a new axle would need to be ordered. I don't believe that at all because there are tons of threads about replacing the u-joints on a dana 44 and I have even found the u-joint needed on quadratec and other online sites. I am wondering if a new axle is needed and I should just suck it up and pay the 1200$ charge they are wanting to do with a new axle, or should I order 2 new u joints and try to put them on myself? The problem is I am leaving in a week and a half to go to the beach where I have been looking forward to taking the jeep onto the sand, so I will need this problem fixed before then! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

No,you don't need new axle shafts,unless you want to up grade.Just replace the u-joints
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

You just need u-joints, the dealer is bending you over. But, if you want to upgrade and don't mind spending that amount of cash go with the RCV axles. Can't go wrong with them and you can find the set for around the 1.2k mark.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think there's laws against insisting on unnecessary repairs and there is a state a state agency that regulates automotive repair. If they documented the repair quote as you just did type us, then I'd let dealership service manager you'll refrain from reporting them in exchange for doing the repair for the $130 you already spent.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Angry_Fisherman
I think there's laws against insisting on unnecessary repairs and there is a state a state agency that regulates automotive repair. If they documented the repair quote as you just did type us, then I'd let dealership service manager you'll refrain from reporting them in exchange for doing the repair for the $130 you already spent.
I wouldn't do that ... that would be extortion.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could atleast try to get the $130 back lol. What kind of moron tries to tell you that you need a whole new front axle because of a bad u joint lol. Did he say new axle or axle shaft. I assume you meant axle shaft but the OP said new axle

Last edited by kh202; 06-07-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Shiiiiit- run the joints on the beach and then bring it back and change it yourself.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quick Reply: Worn out U-Joint problem