Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Word of WARNING

Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep_n_co
I learned this lesson the hard way with my first jeep, an '86 CJ7. Of course, with those years, the windows were not removable, so if you cracked one you had to replace the whole soft top.

Or use packing tape, which is what I did as a poor college student.
same here, but it was a '79 CJ5. what a bummer that was!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by roadking54
...and if you have a hard top....watch those rear glass struts in freezing temps. The fluid in one of mine froze over night, and when I opened my tailgate, the strut exploded.
YIKES! Good to know!
Will watch for that, it's been pretty cold here lately.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadking54
...and if you have a hard top....watch those rear glass struts in freezing temps. The fluid in one of mine froze over night, and when I opened my tailgate, the strut exploded.
That happened to me a week or two ago. But only one strut... Weird
Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I dont know what is so hard about this, dont touch them and they will be fine. I go the whole winter not touching the windows and have never had a problem. No need to see out them, thats was side mirrors are for. If u want to see out them, run ur jeep with heat full blast for 15-20 minutes and then go to car wash and rinse them off.
Yeah I realize that and now my fiancee does too. As she was the one who cracked it because of the half inch of ice we got with this last set of storms.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Garage and remote start - my 2 best friends in the winter time

ive never busted a plastic window on any of my wranglers.. if the ice was thick and the temps cold i started the jeep and let it warm up for a nice long time.. the cost of the gas to run it for a while was much cheaper than replacing plastic windows...

-Christopher
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. It only got up to 72 in Santa Monica today. Had to put on a long sleeve T-shirt
Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

It was 6 degrees in southern Arizona today, felt like my top was gonna rip from the wind alone
Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just like the other guy said, i wouldn't take an ice scraper or brush to them. I've run a soft top on my JK in the winter for 3-4 years now except this year and i've never had an issue, just let the Jeep warm up for 5 minutes and crank the heat.

The soft windows are tempermental with weather conditions, like in the summer when it's hot and humid the windows are really soupy sticky and stretchable, but as it gets colder and dryer out the windows don't stretch, and become more of a plexiglass in the low low temps. So watch those rear windows when putting stuff in the back. It's the same situation with boat canvas/enclosures. Hail will blow right through these windows if it's cold enough.

I don't mean to point out the obvious to you guys that already know this, or have found out the hard way, just to say it's not only Jeep windows.

Sooo glad i found a steal of a hardtop..

Quick Reply: Word of WARNING