Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wobble = loose front Track Bar? (JK 08 2DR Stock Sport)

Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedOffRoad
The frame side is easy enough, just a wrench to hold the nut and torque the bolt down to 125ft/lbs. The axle side is a bit tougher. You may have to remove the steering stabilizer (this is easy as anything as its just two bolts. The reason the axle side is more tough, is you will see that Jeep has welded on flags to the nuts, if you have a welder or could find a welder to weld some flags to match the Jeep ones on the new grade 8 stover nuts, then you would have a much easier time, otherwise it just will take some time as the space for the nut does not allow for a wrench to get in there. You will have to tighten by hand at first then tighten with a torque wrench after its down most of the way. If you have issues with the stover nut on the axle side, you can always swap it out for a regular grade 8 nut and locking washer, this is what I did, but requires re-torquing (I do it when I change my oil). I have had zero issues with it so up to you and what you find easiest. Im sure others will say they had no issues withe stover nuts at all, it is the recommended way to go.
Thanks again RedOffRoad. Will also pickup a couple of locking washers for the nut side *with the Stover*, may as well since i'm going to the effort of upgrading to these slightly bigger bolts. Probably be a week or two since i'm having to study a ton for some upgrades to my existing credentials in the medical field. I'll update this thread with how it went after i get it done but will check back before then to see if there's anything that has been added to this discussion.

Last edited by turtoni; 02-18-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, seeing a bunch of other wobble threads. We must all be coming up to track bar tolerance fails. Funny stuff
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, ESP if you have any mods done on your jeep.. Dealerships aren't much help in this type of situation. I have had better luck with custom shops. They tend to know and recognize the quirks that come up after suspensions, bigger tires, etc.

Quick Reply: Wobble = loose front Track Bar? (JK 08 2DR Stock Sport)