Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wipers not returning to 'at rest' position correctly - fixed.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wipers not returning to 'at rest' position correctly - fixed.

I've been having a problem here or there where my wipers were not returning to the proper at-rest position. They were still propping up about an inch or so. Not a huge amount, but enough to bug me.

I took a look at things tonight, and got the problem fixed. I believe the contacts in the cam within the wiper motor were malfunctioning. If you run into this too, these are the steps I took.

1) Remove wipers. Plastic cover pops up and off of them to expose the 13mm nut. Use a screwdriver to pop the wipers off the bosses.

2) Remove cowl - 2 torx screws on each side and 2 tree push-pins on the upper firewall.

3) Remove wiper assembly. 10mm bolts on each side of the wiper arm assembly. Disconnect wiring harness - lift out.

4) Remove three torx screw securing plastic cam-cover.

You'll see it's full of grease. Even at 96k miles, and 4 years, my grease was still nice and clear. I scooped it out and saved. it. I then checked the contacts on the plastic cover. I gave them a slight tweak outward to give them a little more pressure on the cam contacts. I took a shop towel and cleaned the contacts on the cam wheel, and re-applied the grease I saved. I also packed some into the worm gear.

Reassemble in reverse..
Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I've been having a problem here or there where my wipers were not returning to the proper at-rest position. They were still propping up about an inch or so. Not a huge amount, but enough to bug me.

I took a look at things tonight, and got the problem fixed. I believe the contacts in the cam within the wiper motor were malfunctioning. If you run into this too, these are the steps I took.

1) Remove wipers. Plastic cover pops up and off of them to expose the 13mm nut. Use a screwdriver to pop the wipers off the bosses.

2) Remove cowl - 2 torx screws on each side and 2 tree push-pins on the upper firewall.

3) Remove wiper assembly. 10mm bolts on each side of the wiper arm assembly. Disconnect wiring harness - lift out.

4) Remove three torx screw securing plastic cam-cover.

You'll see it's full of grease. Even at 96k miles, and 4 years, my grease was still nice and clear. I scooped it out and saved. it. I then checked the contacts on the plastic cover. I gave them a slight tweak outward to give them a little more pressure on the cam contacts. I took a shop towel and cleaned the contacts on the cam wheel, and re-applied the grease I saved. I also packed some into the worm gear.

Reassemble in reverse..
COOL -- Thanks for the fix, I will add it to my files for future issues.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please do this again but take pictures for us. ;-)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I am notoriously bad at slowing down enough to take pics of anything.

I can say for sure, it is VERY easy to perform the steps I mentioned. Everything came apart incredibly easy -- I'm not leaving anything out - No fumbling with nearly impossible to use clips or prying on things for 10 minutes.

Having done it once, I could have the whole wiper assembly out in less than 5 minutes. Jeep did good with this setup.

Quick Reply: Wipers not returning to 'at rest' position correctly - fixed.