Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

winter tires

Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also live in Ontario and have found General grabber at2(also studable) work for me. Depends on driving style. I drive Hamilton to Burlington/Mississauga over Skyway daily towing a trailer and am fine but on really icy days throw 350lbs in back when not towing so I rarely use 4wd unless playing in the deep snow 1-3 feet 3 being high drift points. But you can't beat winter tire for road only driving but I have never had to put on winter only tires on any of my trucks or suv's or jeeps only cars P.S. any wider may negate the effects of having winter only tire and be little or no better than original tires as the wider tires do loose more traction in the front end and dart a bit on heavy slush days

Last edited by red rcok; 01-23-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got Cooper Discovery tires, replaced the Stock Goodyears 255/75/17 with 265/70/17. Same height and width. Much. much better in snow. We use them on all our plowing trucks.. Its a Mud and snow tire which I plan on leaving on year round. I heard the Blizzacks are of a soft compound and won t last long on dry roads..
Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stuka
I think you mean BFG MT KM?

Those tires really are not great in rain and snow. They have no sipes, so not many biting edges.

The Blizzak is a purpose made snow tire, and the best one on the market, period.
Wow. I defer to the CALIFORNIA driver about what works in snow. And BFG means BF Goodrich. Your California snow may be incompatible with your type of driving and snow, but here in Colorado, with my type of driving, the BF Goodrich KM's work fine.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cerbomark
Just got Cooper Discovery tires, replaced the Stock Goodyears 255/75/17 with 265/70/17. Same height and width. Much. much better in snow. We use them on all our plowing trucks.. Its a Mud and snow tire which I plan on leaving on year round. I heard the Blizzacks are of a soft compound and won t last long on dry roads..

Cooper Discoverer M+S is a great winter tire studdable and great aggressive winter tread...and comes in E-load if you want.

I have run these tires on my vehicles for winter around Revelstoke and the traction is 1000X's better than any All-terrain (BFG A/T, Dick Cepek) or Mud-Terrain tire (Mickey Thompson MTZ, Toyo M/T & Cooper STT) on Wet slushy snow and ice hands down. Just from experience...buy an extra set of rims if you are considering running winter tires.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

The stock BFG tires that came with my '08 Rubicon are awesome in the snow! Was doing some trails this past weekend, and the snow in places was almost 2' deep. Not once did I get stuck.

On ice they are not so great, and a siped tire would definitely be a better choice.

I think you mean BFG MT KM?

Those tires really are not great in rain and snow. They have no sipes, so not many biting edges.

The Blizzak is a purpose made snow tire, and the best one on the market, period.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Wow. I defer to the CALIFORNIA driver about what works in snow. And BFG means BF Goodrich. Your California snow may be incompatible with your type of driving and snow, but here in Colorado, with my type of driving, the BF Goodrich KM's work fine.
Leave it to somebody who obviously knows nothing about California to talk out of his @$$.

And I am fully aware that BFG means BF Goodrich. I was correcting you on saying MT/R, as thats a Good Year tire.

I get several feet of snow at my house many times a year. Hell California has more ski resorts than Colorado does (30 vs 22). So before you go off about something, do a bit of research. But then most people think everybody in California lives on the beach and surfs all day.

And I never said you couldn't drive in the snow with a mud tire. What I said is a mud tire with no sipes (like BFG MT's) suck in the snow because they have very few biting edges. As opposed to an AT or dedicated snow tire that has lots of sipes. I can guarantee you would notice a substantial difference in handling if you put on a snow tire.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lots of inputs on snow tires. I will defenitly buy winter tires and rims to go with them. P265/70R18 or P265/75R17. To much ice on the roads where i live in northern ontario. Come summer , i can put back the original tires and rims back on the jeep. They will probably pass law to have winter tires mandatory in ontario like they did in Quebec.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Leave it to somebody who obviously knows nothing about California to talk out of his @$$.

I lived in California 7 years and am very familiar with the state. Don't be sad that someone disagrees with you. Adress your answers to the OP. I simply stated that at my house in the mountains at12,000 ' and 30' of annual snowfall, my BFG's work fine. If that doesn't fit with your experience, then simply answer the OP's question with what works for you, without disputing my well verified experience.

And I am fully aware that BFG means BF Goodrich. I was correcting you on saying MT/R, as thats a Good Year tire.

I get several feet of snow at my house many times a year. Hell California has more ski resorts than Colorado does (30 vs 22).

Let's not debate quality vs. quantity - or altitute. Tahoe is one resort but considers itself about 20. Here we don't call each run a resort. We simply have world-class large and small resorts. I wouldn't want to be the one comparing Cal. skiing to Colorado skiing.

So before you go off about something, do a bit of research. But then most people think everybody in California lives on the beach and surfs all day.

No need to research my annual driving experience. Yours may differ so stay with your experience and answer the OP from that point of view. No one says your wrong. Just stick to your own answer, it's very simple.

And I never said you couldn't drive in the snow with a mud tire. What I said is a mud tire with no sipes (like BFG MT's) suck in the snow because they have very few biting edges. As opposed to an AT or dedicated snow tire that has lots of sipes. I can guarantee you would notice a substantial difference in handling if you put on a snow tire.
If it didn't handle fine, I would gladly switch. However I find that they do just fine. They may not work for your type of driving. There are people who think the JK is fishy in the snow, but mine and many others have no trouble in the snow or water - that says that they must drive very differently than I. I would answer that by stating my experience not trying to detract from their driving or lack thereof.

You'll see that my answer stated that from my experience......... something you can't intelligently comment on. Relax and enjoy your snowy town. You'll notice a number of posters whose stock tires do great for them - even those from Canada who, like me, get a tad more snow than you.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 01-20-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cooper Discoverer M+S is a great winter tire. I had a set on my pick up truck and man what a difference! Good grip on ice and good traction in snow- Don't know hoe they were in the mud as I never really went up to axles often enough.
When I first had my JK the stock tires were good in the snow, but I have a 07 and the wear is noticeable in the snow now.

If you can afford a set of cooper's I would recommend them without hesitation.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

I got a set of snow tires and rims for the winter.
I'm running P265/70R17. Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ3.
No complaints with them at all, and i'm saving my 18" rims from all this salt!!
The size difference is pretty close, no rubbing issues
Stock 32.1" diameter
Winter 31.7" diameter

Quick Reply: winter tires