Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield Replacement

Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will put about one per year in it, so if you dont like this one change next year. Safelite did one of mine but I will not use them again, because of poor quality work done by there installer.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i purchased my Jeep wrangler ulimited in June 2010. I have had the windshield changed 3 times so far. The first time was with only 260 miles on it... Some asshat was weed wacking along side the road and spit rocks all over the place... Of course the windshield didnt crack right then, it took about an hour or so before it actually cracked... every time the glass shop put in PPG windshields, and I have had no problems with them yet, except for them cracking again and again.... Thank god for glass coverage...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

i better up my glass coverage. I have noticed while highway driving that bugs really slam into the windshield, more than any other vehicle I've owned.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Just had mine replaced this morning by Safelite at their shop(only four miles down the road, and since it was out of pocket it saved me a $30 mobile fee) and I was VERY impressed with the professionalism of the tech. Quality work, no whistling(so far), and a very pleasant tech to deal with. Time will tell though(fingers crossed)! BTW...$257.15 out the door. Could have gone a little cheaper, but the majority of quotes I received were higher.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

I have had my windshield done twice by safelite and had no leaking or whistling. Been really happy with their service too, I have them come to my house and they do it in my garage. I don't think I am charged different for the mobile service. If I am, I am getting a great price!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine popped and 2 cracks started about 3 weeks ago. The cracks didn't spread for the first couple weeks but now every day the two cracks seem to gain 1-2cm. Worst part is they are both from the top on the driver's side and just creeping into my main view. Hoping they don't get too bad and I can make it through winter with this windshield. Otherwise I'm sure I'd get more chips and cracks this winter with all the crap on the roads. Figure I'm actually doing pretty well with about 30 months of driving on the stock windshield.

I've had glass replaced by Safelite before on my WJ and XJ, but both times it was in one of their SLC shops. The WJ glass lasted about 2 years until I traded it. The XJ broke again when I put it on it's side (again). Damn cheap glass! Hahaha
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

silly at it sounds, Ive started thinking about having a sign shop make decals of the jeep logo and the JK climbing. I could even make the JK in the corner match my color.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
DJR
JK Enthusiast

Replaced once on my 2007, and already one time on my 2011. Check you car insurance. On my insurance if they repair a chip or ding, its free, if they need to replace the windshield, I only have to pay $50 (and that included the glass w/ the little jeep in the corner). Safelite did both - very good and professional. Tech owned a wrangler himself.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

They want close to $500 for the oem here in Alberta, Canada. I don't know what I'll get, but i know it won't be oem. . .

I've got 9000 kms on my 2012 and the windshield is toast.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedy Glass put in a Mopar windshield for me a month ago. $336.00 Cdn out the door. It's not the one with the jeep logos on it.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement