Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield Question

Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Question

I know a lot of people are having their windshields replaced for rock chips and cracks, but this is a little different. My windshield has been hit by enough gravel over the last two winters that it has a bunch of really tiny "pits" in it. It looks like I have gotten a little drizzle on the windshield. When I clean it it makes is even ore obvious. My question is this: Is there any sort of glaze or compound that you can buff the windshield with that would fill those in? If not, what is the going rate on a new windshield installed?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

A friend with a JK had a national auto glass company come to his home and replace his JK windshield. He paid $195.00 installed
Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, dont you guys have a glass policy with your insurance? Mine comes with the std coverage. We have windshield replacement companies at about every car wash that hound you to either fix a chip, or replace it for free. They bill the ins company, order the glass, come to your house within a couple of days and throw it on. All free. All easy...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RubiJK
Wow, dont you guys have a glass policy with your insurance? Mine comes with the std coverage. We have windshield replacement companies at about every car wash that hound you to either fix a chip, or replace it for free. They bill the ins company, order the glass, come to your house within a couple of days and throw it on. All free. All easy...
I think it depends on location where some ins companies would offer that. I had it in Vegas but up here

I'd try and call one of those windshield fit it places, they might have some magic goo they can rub over your windshied and fill the pits in.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Up here in Canuckistan a new windshield cost me $648 Canadian Pesos installed. Hell some how my rear passengerside hard top window broke and that was $300 installed.. NOT CHEAP!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, maybe I will start making a claim once per month and then selling them here?!

[Ok, ok... just kidding! Nobody report me for insurance fraud!]
Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

For the right price my mouth is shut
Old 02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I just did an online quote from safelite autoglass and they will replace the windshield for $185. I was expecting it to be a lot more than that. I guess I will just buy a new every other year or so
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

You guys really should check with your insurance companies. Every insurer I have had would replace my windshield with only a $50 deductible. And the last time I had my windshield replaced, the windshield company waived the deductable. Of course if you want to go out there and help support the economy, then by all means...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

My insurance is quite good for Washington and Oregon, but to cover "normal wear and tear" would be a stretch. Mine, too, is sandblasted and I was hoping for a hit by a rock to get it fixed. I guess I am not inclined to take a hammer to it to generate a claim, so I will just pay to have it replaced come spring.

Quick Reply: Windshield Question