Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield Down?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hyatt147
Anyone put their Windshield down yet? Its something that I want to do once the weather here is more consistent. Any tips?
For a white, sparkly bug free smile....... Keep your windshield in the up-right position !

Last edited by pkdailey4; 04-15-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine owning a Wrangler and not dropping the windshield at least once. Doors off....windshield down ( that's what the hinge at the bottom is for !) ...yes... have to experience it at least once. Even the TJ required a bit of effort...but I understand the JK is more time consuming again. So much for the two bolts on the CJ...now that was easy ! Won't be doing it for road work...but I'll definately be giving it a go off road...when the speeds are down. Goggles or good glasses isn't a bad idea though.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sure makes It look ugly from the pics.. Ill leave mine up..
Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you want the windsheild down spen 5K on a 1944 Willy's. put windsheild down for a couple days, sell willy's for 5K. on the JK it is a waste and looks silly.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's one of the reason's I bought a JEEP! I love having the windshield down who cares if it looks silly , it's a good time. IN years of doing this in the summer I don"t ever recall getting a bug in my eye. No goggles are required. I just wish I said this with cap locks on!

Last edited by Greystn JK; 04-15-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But Ryan --

Looks wayy better on the CJs and TJs cuz the windshield is flat though ...

Looks kinda weird on the JKs with the curve of the hood and the curve of the windshield. I'm not takin' mine down. Not practical for the city slicker I am ...

Top and doors off ... yes absolutely ... windshield down ... nah.

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i haven't on my JK yet, but my CJ, YJ, TJ, CJ2A, i always put the windshield down on the trail. it's the best feeling hands down!

putting the windshield down is not going to hurt your jeep. it's not a process that's going to break anything. it's really NOT a big deal. the only negative is you'll get more branches to the face on the trail, but you won't have any branches swing back and smack you like they do with it up.

fawkin noobs you guys need a role model lol
Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 PM
JK Freak

Talking

I did it once... The day before I got my KC's on my windshield.... It was a pain, but it was so fun driving the Jeep. I was goin' 65 on the highway, and people were STARING at me, and I just waved and smiled at them.....

Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Greystn JK
It's one of the reason's I bought a JEEP! I love having the windshield down who cares if it looks silly , it's a good time. IN years of doing this in the summer I don"t ever recall getting a bug in my eye. No goggles are required. I just wish I said this with cap locks on!
...Exactly ! It's a distinguishing feature of the marque. So the windscreen isn't dead flat any more... so what. I think it still looks good. Whatever 'floats your boat'...that's what I reckon.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my post from the outher page:

"Why would you want to put the windsheld down?"

I drive my MB about 100 mils a week (mostly on week ends) and 95% of the time the windsheld is down. I only put it up if it is raining, snowing, or I get too cold (dos not happen alot becuse I where lost of wool when it is cold out) I can tell you it take 10 sec. to put down or up (I do it at stop light all the time, it is also faster becaue you dont have to open the door to get in or out!) on my computer out of the 200+ pics I have of my jeep, the wiindsheld is only up in 3 of them!
I can tell you why you would want it down:
-you can see better at night (no glair) and when useing the black out light (a light on the fider the army used to put out very small amout of light, about the same as a AA flashlight)
-you can hear better. when traying to find the badguys or when talking to some one infront of your jeep
-it keep your windsheld from getting hit and brakeing when drive in the woods (I know a lot of people have this problum)
-it lowers the hight of your jeep (not on the new ones becaue the roll bars)
-you can smell better. like a dog with its head out the window, you smell alot more thing when doing 40mph down the road. you also smell the sooner.
-you can get out over the hood and down the front bumper (dont tray this with the new jeeps)
-you can shoot and thow things out the front (water balloon are very fun in the summer!)
-it make more room for long stuff
-it keeps you cool when you dont have A/C

Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ChevyM14
Dude, your Jeep looks like its stuck in a time warp... I bet it looked that good the day it rolled off the assymbly line....

Sweet looking rig....

Quick Reply: Windshield Down?