Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield cracks

Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield cracks

So I purchased my jk in October 2013. Already going on my third windshield. What am I doing wrong here haha is there a fix to this at all and is others having the same issues ???
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default impact

what is causing your cracks?

I put a bug deflector on mine... seems to keeps the rocks at bay.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Stop blasting the defrost on your windshield when it's cold out. Just use enough defrost to clear windshield then switch to vent.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KnappsJKU
So I purchased my jk in October 2013. Already going on my third windshield. What am I doing wrong here haha is there a fix to this at all and is others having the same issues ???
I bought my 2013 JKU in December. I was traveling last month and my windshield received a kiss from a rock propelled by an oncoming car! In a blink of an eye the small 1/2" crack spread halfway across my windshield. Within a couple of days it was all the way across (driver side to passenger). Just below my sight line.

I haven't replaced yet..dragging my feet because I don't want to spend the money and have to get new inspection and registration stickers!

I recalled the dealership mentioning something about a windshield warranty, but it wasn't in place at time of purchase. Has anyone else heard about this?

I think jeep windshields just like rock!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't speak for all states, but South Carolina had a once per year replacement policy I think. No cost or raises in insurance. I had to do it once for the Avalanche I used to own. Might be something to look in to. I think all I had to do was call a windshield replacement company, and they took care of it. It's been a few years, so I don't remember the details.

Edit: doesn't look like New York has this law. Sorry man.

Last edited by Reepo; 01-13-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was told because there no aerodynamics not these trucks that they are rock magnets .. Might try the bug guard see if it helps. Main problem is our New York hwys really suck !!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

i have an 07 and have had 5 windshields put in , all small stones going down the highway, been about a year and a half now on this one, longest i've ever gone, glad to have glass coverage
Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's another one of those boxy SUV things. My land rover went through 7 windshields. I had my current jeep windshield repaired 3 times now. Getting it replaced tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 3 years of ownership I finally got blasted with what seemed to be a boulder on RT347. Nice looking crack I'm going to wait until my inspection is up to replace the windshield even though I have glass coverage. Still stinks though.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tired that clear windshield film they sell at tint shops?

Just curious if it works. I got a quote to have my front windows tinted to match the rear and they offered to do the screen for 1/2 price.

Went through 4 new windshields in my 07 JK, kind of dreading the first chip in my new Rubi. I know it will happen.
The exposed edge all the way around the glass is just begging to get chipped.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracks