Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield Bullseye Repair

Old 01-23-2014, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safelite is about as bad as it gets for glass companies. They use cheap, Chinese crap glass that's warped and most of their techs are inexperienced and poorly trained. If you ever had a good Safelite tech, they likely learned what they know from someone else. The only reason Safelite is recommended by most insurance companies is because they're cheap.

Finding good auto glass people can be difficult. I've been using the same guy for over a decade, and I'll use him until he retires. I found him years ago when I was an auto reconditioning manager at an enormous used car dealer. We tried Safelite for a while, but after too many windshield leaks and too much warped glass, we found someone else. We went through a lot of glass vendors before we found a good one.

If your insurance company wants you to use Safelite, you can always say no. They have no right to tell you who works on your car. My guy takes my insurance just the same.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HardRooster
Safelite is about as bad as it gets for glass companies. They use cheap, Chinese crap glass that's warped and most of their techs are inexperienced and poorly trained. If you ever had a good Safelite tech, they likely learned what they know from someone else. The only reason Safelite is recommended by most insurance companies is because they're cheap. Finding good auto glass people can be difficult. I've been using the same guy for over a decade, and I'll use him until he retires. I found him years ago when I was an auto reconditioning manager at an enormous used car dealer. We tried Safelite for a while, but after too many windshield leaks and too much warped glass, we found someone else. We went through a lot of glass vendors before we found a good one. If your insurance company wants you to use Safelite, you can always say no. They have no right to tell you who works on your car. My guy takes my insurance just the same.
I will use them for a repair but not a replacement. At this point I don't even think my chip would need to be repaired but it's no money out of my pocket so might as well have them come and fix it just to be on the safe side Hell I just hit 1600 miles on it do I am SURE it won't be the last. I had 4 new windshields put in my last jeep all due to one crack and 3 leaking replacements. That's why I would have to agree with not having them replace it.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've had Safelite do a repair on the wife's Miata, replacement on her Cherokee (both this fall) and will replace my JK's windshield shortly. The Safelite company in Colorado Springs has done all our repair work indoors (inside their facility)
Old 01-23-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

There's a company I use, Alderfer I think? Mainly because they're really close to where I park my Jeep.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

So the takeaway here is find a reputable glass shop and see if they can do the bullseye repair indoors with temps that are low outside. What a pissah!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Yeah I would say indoors is the only way to go right now with the temps as low as they are.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default went to two places they said it was to small and and just a scratch abrasion

i guess thats good thing didnt feel like replacing the whole windshield , they said it will never crack from that , time will tell... it was only a scrape like a bit bigger than a flea size how did you guys do with yours?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

I just set up an appointment for next Thursday. My guess is they will tell me the same thing. Its considered "pitting" not a chip or crack and they won't do anything but worth the time to have them look. I worked in the glass/window industry for 11 years much rather fix than replace!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

I'll give give a call and see what they say about mine as well. Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Windshield Bullseye Repair