Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wicked Clunk... Experience requested...

Old 03-08-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wicked Clunk... Experience requested...

I just dug up this thread on steering clunking and then, after posting a response/question and bouncing it back up to the top, I realized it was in the Writeups section. I really have a Stock Tech question so I am linking it here.

Would love to hear any experience with the steering clunk...
I recently put on Pintlers with ~34's, and spidertrax 1.5 spacers. (should have taken the spacers off. Didn't. Long uninteresting story)

As soon as I put greater stress on the steering with the wider offset, a clicking started in my steering, then it turned into an all-out clunk. Big and getting worse.

Now, it's 100% reliable, standing still, foot on the brake, it will clunk one time when turning from one lock to the other. Happens when turning either way. Happens all the time when driving. It's just gotten big enough you can feel it through the steering wheel and through the chassis too.

My local shop guesses that it may be the power steering box. That's where the sound comes from. Before I go through all of the dealer stuff to replace it, I am trying to confirm whether it's this steering spline lube prob. Easier fix.

Anyone have a guess? Those of you who have had the prob that the grease fixes, would you consider it to be a major, loud clunk? Or are we talking about just a really a heavy click...
Here's the orig thread...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...741#post377741
Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have 34s and wheel spacers, this belongs in the modified section.

Quick Reply: Wicked Clunk... Experience requested...