Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Why would you turn traction control off?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would you turn traction control off?

Prob a newb question, but did some searching and couldn't find an answer.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

I believe you are taking about the ESP Button? I wondered that myself, here is a relevant article that will tell you everything you want to know. '07-Present Wrangler's Control System - ESP Off - Jp Magazine
Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When you need wheel spin. Like drifting in snow covered parking lots and hauling @$$ on gravel roads.... That was a joke. More or less its when you need more wheel spin or momentum
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To kick up some dirt, rocks, mud, sand and snow. It's always fun to break traction in or on something lol
Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
When you need wheel spin. More or less its when you need more wheel spin or momentum
Try playing in some snow. Without wheel spin you could easily get stuck. With wheel spin, you could easily get through. Same goes for some mud. Or on a steep hill that you don't want to stop on... frequently momentum is key to getting up/over/through an obstacle, and the ESP going off will screw you.

Hence why many put in a ESP kill switch.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

ESP off is great for playing speaking from experience I would never shut it off while driving on winter roads as I did that last year and went into the ditch
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are in 2wd or 4hi and need to get some wheel spin to build up or maintain momentum
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

My steering wheel was off center so made my traction control go wild. So i disabled it. Fixed my streering wheel just need to get it back on. Plus i like sound of burnouts once in a while. Ha
Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ESP (actually Jeep calls it ESC, same thing) will stop you dead before it lets your wheels spin. So, you can become stuck when ESC is off, or stuck because it is on. I don't like it much, but then I've stayed out of trouble without it for 50 years.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Lets say you just washed off your vehicle, its dripping wet, you go to merge onto a roadway and floor it a bit as a vehicle is comming over a slope. With ESP your tire slip will slow the RPM's, the vehicle will seem like its shutting down, it will save you from a slide, but slow you to where when you step on the gas you get nothing for a second or more. You might get hit by that vehicle comming over the slope as the vehicle shuts down for safety. Without ESP your tire slip will go, you may clean the tires quick and shoot straight down the road you want, you may slide and need to control with your throttle and could spin out and crash.

If your not a great driver ESP will help you when panic sets in. If your a great driver you might do better with no ESP as it could slow you down/get you stuck.

If a sports car had ESP active all the time, it might as well be a daily driver sedan as it would not be able to push the limits on a track/road course or launch well off the line.

Quick Reply: Why would you turn traction control off?