Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Why is stock suspension so firm?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your tire pressure?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Tires certainly play a roll in the 'feel' of the suspension. I air my Goodrich tires to 44psi when I tow. Definitely makes the suspension feel stiffer compared to the 36-38 psi I run when not towing. Especially feel on bridge expansion joints.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any solid front axle vehicle I have had rode harsher than IFS, unsprung weight seems to matter. Maybe that is perception on my part though. But shocks, tire pressure and type do matter also. Wheel base length seems to make a difference.

As already noted probably some of it is just design limitations that make it able to articulate the suspension offroad while remaining stable at speed.

Last edited by Yankee; 11-26-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yankee
Any solid front axle vehicle I have had rode harsher than IFS, unsprung weight seems to matter. Maybe that is perception on my part though. But shocks, tire pressure and type do matter also. Wheel base length seems to make a difference.

As already noted probably some of it is just design limitations that make it able to articulate the suspension offroad while remaining stable at speed.
Correct, unsprung weight of a solid axle does have an impact in ride over IFS. When you hit a large bump the solid axle gets more mass in motion and thus the springs must be able to counter that mass in motion.

That said, those of us that have been owning Jeeps for a while will tell you that the JK has the smoothest ride ever... By far!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!! That all makes sense. I'm not unhappy with the ride of my JK, I was just curious. It seemed to me that a softer suspension would be better off-road to soak up the rough terrain but now I understand why firmer (compared to a passenger car) is needed.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Think about a soft suspension off road; going fast toward an incline and if the suspension was soft it would bottom out; you would nose dive into the hill rather than climb it. Going over rocks just bouncing around would just keep bottoming out.

The main reason is that a vehicle that has a high center of gravity and short/narrow wheelbase would be even more dangerous and apt to roll over if it had a soft suspension. That is why lift kits are even stiffer because you are raising the center of gravity and causing more of a hazard.

Go around a bend too fast with a soft suspension and it will roll over easier.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by matt1171
It seemed to me that a softer suspension would be better off-road to soak up the rough terrain . . .
That's sorta the approach I took when I modified the suspension. The stock shocks would get hot and let any little bump bottom the suspension against the bump-stops. Next, our heads would be bouncing off the roll bars.

So, the suspension changes were: More suspension travel with longer springs and shocks, and high-end bump stops that don't rebound like those little rubber bump-stop turds. The longer shocks are mono-tubes which cool a lot better, 'tho not as well as remote res. shocks would.

The ride is about the same as with stock Rubi springs and shocks. On big bumps at speed, the combination of more travel, better shocks, and better bump stops let the suspension "work" without hitting its limits. The Jeep sits about 2 1/2 inches taller thanks to the longer springs, and the suspension has about 2" more travel at the wheels.

Quick Reply: Why is stock suspension so firm?