Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Why is the engine so un-responsive?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I got , an Airaid and a flowmaster, sounds BADASS when you pass someone........slowly
Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep_poser
I own a 2008 Sahara 2 Door and I can`t get over how unresponsive the 3.8 is. My other vehicle is a 2005 CBR 600RR Honda motorcycle, so the constract is strong. When driving my Jeep. I have to wait 2 seconds before engaging the next gear just so that the revs can let down and match the transmission speed of the next gear. Is this normal?
How many miles do you have on it? The drive by wire setup learns your driving style for the first 1k I think it is. Also, about a year+ ago, JP magazine had an article about break in period governer...
Old 04-14-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

And when you are finally done, get a Hypertech Performance tuner. This helps quite a bit!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itsokitsgot4wd
Pure noisemakers! Notce the end...SOUNDS like your going faster.
That is just a bad statement. Saying a better exhaust is just a noise maker when DYNO shows improvement.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
This not intended to be a smart-assed answer so don't take it as such. Remember your JK weighs close to 4000 lbs empty! Any vehicle with that weight trying to snap shift like a bike(my term ha) would be without a transmission in about three shifts. There is reason the tranny and throttle are programmed the way they are and that is longevity. It's a balance between performance and longevity. Your performance will improve dramatically as you get 3000-6000 miles or more on the jeep, based on my and others experience.good luck!
This is one of the best explanations I've read yet. You might have a little sense after all.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
and it will sound like you're going faster, too.
Now THERE'S an accomplishment. LMAO
Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep_poser
I own a 2008 Sahara 2 Door and I can`t get over how unresponsive the 3.8 is. My other vehicle is a 2005 CBR 600RR Honda motorcycle, so the constract is strong. When driving my Jeep. I have to wait 2 seconds before engaging the next gear just so that the revs can let down and match the transmission speed of the next gear. Is this normal?
How many miles do you have? I had the same complaint and started a tread titled 'breaking in the engine?'. I got many responses that the engine performance will improve after 2-3 thousand miles. I now have about 1500 miles and feel like my performance is improving. I too installed an airraid CAI to increase performance. may do the muffler sometime.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
This is one of the best explanations I've read yet. You might have a little sense after all.
REDNECK you are so sweet!!!!LOL
Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Seems like many have ignored something important in your statement.

You are comparing a CBR600RR to a Jeep...

I ride a bike as well... and you are comparing a machine that can keep up with the fastest super cars to something that is meant to crawl over rocks....keyword...crawl.

I say accept it and deal.

I love my Jeep and cruising around slowly in it.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Freak

I don't seem to have much of a problem with the 6spd, as long as you remember the following:

1. NEVER try to pass in 6th
2. Just 'cuz you step into the pedal doesn't mean it's gonna tell the comp to open up

3. IT'S A FREAKING JEEP!!!

If I wanted a sports car I would've bought a Rustang.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Why is the engine so un-responsive?