Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Whole New Rear Axle

Old 03-30-2021, 12:28 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

It sounds to me that the shop is taking the easy way out, they won’t have the time in on a rebuild that they probably don’t have a tech that can, or wants to do a rebuild, replacing the whole thing they can get warranty through somewhere besides them to cover it if something goes wrong. Personally I always preferred to do a rebuild because we got the labor time and I trusted our techs enough to not have to worry about comeback warranty because of the labor not done right.
some shops now just want to replace an assembly instead of going through and fixing it
The following 2 users liked this post by Dat:
SuperMonster (03-30-2021), Travis Patton (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I'm with Travis here. "Your JK won't go into gear"? What has that got to do with the diff? Unless I misunderstand not going into gear is to do with the transmission (manual or auto), if the Jeep won't move fore or aft with transmission in gear then yes it could be a locked diff requiring a new one. But even then it only needs a guts of the diff not the entire housing assembly. They don't know how to set up a diff? I understand the frustration though being so far from home and needing to be back there.
Yeah, I misspoke when I said it won't go into gear (the description from an 18 y/o away at college). It goes into gear, but it won't move either way. I couldn't understand why they just couldn't rebuild the diff so I called them on it first thing this morning. He talked about having to get all the parts and the work-hours required to rebuild would be 10+ vs. 6 on a new housing assembly. He said it would be more cost-effective to get a whole new housing. Like you said, not being there and seeing what's going on is an extreme PITA.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dat
It sounds to me that the shop is taking the easy way out, they won’t have the time in on a rebuild that they probably don’t have a tech that can, or wants to do a rebuild, replacing the whole thing they can get warranty through somewhere besides them to cover it if something goes wrong. Personally I always preferred to do a rebuild because we got the labor time and I trusted our techs enough to not have to worry about comeback warranty because of the labor not done right.
some shops now just want to replace an assembly instead of going through and fixing it
I think the warranty is one issue - they're not on the hook. He said with the cost of parts and the work hours required for the rebuild, it would be a lot more cost effective to buy a whole new assembly (10+ hrs versus 6). It sucks I'm not there so I don't have the ability to take it somewhere else to get another quote/opinion.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,696 Posts

To regear one axle should be a couple hours max for a legit shop. Cost of gears including master rebuild kit, about $300 +/-. Cost of labor on 1 axle, about $750 +/-. IMO, that shop simply does not do any/many regears and is taking the easy way out which is cost WAAAAY more than necessary.

At the VERY least, since you are not there, they should remove the diff cover and snap a picture of the gears for you.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-30-2021 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SuperMonster (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Maybe you can explain to us what landed the jeep in this situation? Maybe you don't know I guess....sounds like maybe the kid has it off at school. If that is the case I can understand how it's hard to get accurate information from "young adults" for various reasons

In general though, outside of an accident that bends the housing, there is rarely reason to replace the full axle.
Yeah, I have no idea. I got a call from my son on Sunday morning saying, "Dad, the Jeep won't drive." . As for what caused it, I don't know. The shop says the Jeeps notoriously have weak pinion gears for the amount of torque it puts out and that these will go out like this. He said it's not unusual.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts

That's interesting, have not heard or read about weak pinion gears.. there have been recent posts on Spyder Gears chipping and breaking.. guess they could lock up the rear.. As resharp001 posted.. cost to re-gear is much less.. in PA its 6 hours labor in the labor time books..$600. Get them to open up the diff and send photos..BTW when re-gearing you change out the Pinion and Ring gears.. if Spyder gears are broken.. you can put in a Limited Slip unit at that time. if rear housing is not bent or damaged why replace?
Old 03-30-2021, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
That's interesting, have not heard or read about weak pinion gears.
There's a simple reason you've not read or heard about these weak D44 pinion gears over the last 14 years. #TheThingsAShopWillSaySMH

I've stopped short of saying it but the jeep just needs to tow this to a different shop. There are all kinds of off road shops in Boise, and even going over to 4WP would be better IMO. Someplace that is used to doing re-gears. I mean, it's all up to you, but I think it's been pretty clear that everyone thinks you're not being treated properly.

(I bet there's a bigger story behind what really happened here with the jeep that maybe you'll be told in your later years )
Jay2013jk (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:02 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Even with the extra towing you would be cheaper with a rebuild at a different shop, if they are charging 10 hours for a rebuild they’re out of range bad, even then the 4 extra hours would still be cheaper than the whole new assembly and 6 hours, which is high for swapping the diff’
Old 03-31-2021, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Picture clears up a bit when you start to realize that Dowdy's Automotive is a general full service auto repair and maintenance business. It is not an offroad shop. I think that is what really threw all of us off. I can now totally understand why they are going the route they are. Jeep needs to go to an offroad shop. An offroad shop is going to have seen this sort of thing all the time.
SuperMonster (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Shop sounds like they think they hooked a sucker...also stay very clear of Jasper rebuilt anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by caryt:
Dat (03-31-2021), SuperMonster (03-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Whole New Rear Axle