Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Who likes the ESP?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the ESP when it comes to snow and ice, it is amazing how well it controls the JK, in fact it is a little too good because sometimes I like to slide around in the snow. In soft sand it can be a pain but just change it to partial off in 2wd or full off in 4hi and you are good to go. I have never had it come on while driving on pavement, but then again I have not modified my rig yet.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by featherz
So what happens as far as steering when it kicks in? I haven't gotten my '08 yet but I drive up and down a windy mountain road each day (in 2WD, of course) and want to be prepared for what it feels like when it kicks in so I don't drive off a cliff.
I don't know what it feels like for the rest of the guys but to me it feels like I've lost control of the vehicle

Sorta like the steering is less responsive I guess is a good way to explain it.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by featherz
So what happens as far as steering when it kicks in? I haven't gotten my '08 yet but I drive up and down a windy mountain road each day (in 2WD, of course) and want to be prepared for what it feels like when it kicks in so I don't drive off a cliff.

And I can turn it off by holding the button down for a bit, right?
The steering feels the same to me. It feels like it applies brakes to control wheel speed, and reduces power to compensate for the issue. Like I have been saying, mine has worked great, if someones ESP is not, take it into a dealer and see what they can do. If they say they can't do anything, find another dealer.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 AM
gcg
JK Newbie

I thought I was going to hate esp when I bought my JK. After having it for awhile, I really like it. I have a 3.5" lift and 35s and have not had it come on while driving on the street. I've tried driving faster than I normally would - not sliding but close to it - and it didn't come on. In a large dirt field, I floored the gas and cranked in a bunch of steering lock just to see what it would do. It started to spin just for a moment, then esp kicked in, cut the gas, did some magic with the brakes and the jeep just turned the way I was pointing it. I couldn't really make it spin out. You can call that loss of control if you'd like but I thought it was brilliant.

I like the traction control, too. I have the Rubicon and use the lockers when I need to. But in many situations they just aren't necessary because the traction control comes on and "helps". I don't think they are a replacement for lockers but it's nice for moderate wheeling to not have to be switching them on and off. It's easier on the components, too.

We have snow and ice in this area and I'm looking forward to winter to see how it handles that situation. All in all, I've been converted from someone that didn't want it to someone who likes it.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I have only had mine go off once, and it was very apparent, and probably very much needed.

Cruising on the way to Alaska....night...speed limit of 75 on a two lane....sudden very hard downpour....oil slick road....nice rough spot in the road....back to smooth oil slicked road, but not as straight down the road as before the bump.....look mom....a Jeep can go sideways easy....and viola, light on....really could feel it working as I corrected for the spin.

Without it....not sure I would have got it corrected without everyone in the Jeep filling their shorts....and certainly not as quickly.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by caligirl
I had tons of problems with the ESP after I first lifted my JK. Thought I had it sorted out but then it started once again So I just got used to it so to speak!! Then I had to replace my steering stabilizer because I smashed the Skyjacker one I bought with my lift Ever since I installed the new Rancho steering stabilizer I have not had one problem with the ESP
How exactly did you smash the skyjacker steer stabilizer with you lift? I was looking at mine the other day and it looked like something was tearing at it (large rip in the rubber tubing around the stabilizer).
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it, but it does limit the donut fun in the wintertime if you dont shut it off.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Anything that helps keep me tires down, I'm all for it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hate it!

I've read in multiple places that people are having problems with their electronic stability program after putting lifts on their jeep. Is anyone having problems with it stock? I bought my jeep a couple months ago and have 4000 miles on it. My esp has come on 3 or 4 times while driving on a normal road. Once I was taking a slow gradual turn to the right (approx. 10mph), once I was driving in a straight line, and the most recent time I came around a right hand corner and needed to stop for traffic and a red light. My problem is that the stability program does not appear to be coming on to help with traction. All the times it has happened it's been dry roads and I didn't feel off balance. Instead, the light comes on when I hit my brakes which causes: the jeep to shake, make grinding noise, and prevent me from braking. The most recent time it happened the shaking put me into the oncoming lane of traffic and I almost rear ended the car in front of me.

I took it in to the dealer and they told me that they ran it on the computer and no errors came up. He said that the program is very sensitive and that Chrysler is aware of the problem and are going to find a way to fix it. I was told that there is nothing that they can do to solve the problem and to continue driving it. When I questioned what happens if it causes me to get into an accident, he said that he guesses I'll be sueing Chrysler.

I don't know what to do from this point forward. I'm nervous when I hit the brakes, because I don't know when it might prevent me from stopping. My friends bought a 4 door a couple weeks after I did and their light has never came on (with 3000 miles on it). My husband's Dodge Ram has the same stability program in it and we've never had a problem with his vehicle either. His boss said that they should replace our Jeep since they are unable to fix it. When we called Chrysler, they did not care to hear about the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Problem with ESP and Electronic Mitigation Control?

Problem with ESP and Electronic Roll Mitigation?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm here trying to help my father with a Jeep problem. Hopefully you guys can help!

He bought a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X. He took it to a shop and had a 5.5" lift kit put on it with 315/70 R17 tires put on it. He is having problems with the ESP and the Electronic Roll Mitigation when rounding curves. WAY TOO SENSITIVE! He is not able to round a curve above 10mph. If he does those features kick in and he has a hard time controlling it.

Is there any way to disable these features? If so, how and where? If not, any suggestions on what we can do?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.-I believe in safety, but this is slightly ridiculous!

Quick Reply: Who likes the ESP?