Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Who likes the ESP?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine only goes off if i spin the back tires (typically if its wet outside) I turn it off as soon as i get offroad anywhere. A few times when i was climbing a dirt hill it went off and it tried to use the brakes to stop wheel spin, it just left me with no power to finish the climb. I generally dont go fast enough offroad to warrant having it on, just click on the lockers if i'm gonna spin some tires.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take life pretty easy on the streets. I know I'm not driving the fun stuff I drove when I was younger. Now I'm driving a different kind of fun. I haven't experienced it on pavement, but now that I'm getting the hang of it, it's fun to use on the dirt roads I drive on the way to work. It'll actually kick in, grab your back wheel and pivot you around a corner.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by crusher
Mine only goes off if i spin the back tires (typically if its wet outside) I turn it off as soon as i get offroad anywhere. A few times when i was climbing a dirt hill it went off and it tried to use the brakes to stop wheel spin, it just left me with no power to finish the climb. I generally dont go fast enough offroad to warrant having it on, just click on the lockers if i'm gonna spin some tires.

I had that happen to me over the weekend going up a steep gravel hill in 2wd, I was like "what the hell is goin on?" I totally forgot about the esp! I hit the button and continued on up the hill fishtailing and lovin it!

I havent had it kick on yet on pavement though.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found it really sensitive when I first got the jeep but now after 16,000km, it rarely comes on..
Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

its only come on when i tried to make it come on. i was in a wet parking lot and wanted to see how the jeep handled with it on, and with it off.

not nearly as fun with it on, the jeep stays under you.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Is there a way to turn it off when you're in 2WD?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RockRash
.........nope............
Didn't think so :/
Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

you can turn it partially off, well at least the traction control.

2wd= press esp off button once to turn of traction control

4wd Hi= press esp off button once to turn of traction control
4wd Hi= Press and hold esp off button for 5 seconds to turn off esp completely, although i think it comes back on if you travel over 40 MPG

4wd lo=esp is automatically turned off completely until you travel over 40 MPH

I think its in the owners manual. I hope that helps.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default yup

hit the button in the center console once to turn it to partial off, hold it in (can't remember for how long) to turn it completely off. the only thing that stays on is the trac-lok if you have it. once you turn the vehicle off tho it resets to full on so you have to turn it off again each time you start it up. the system is great on pavement, not so much off-road except for the trac-lok which does a decent job of simulating a locker for those of us who don't have the real thing. Man, I thought I was a crazy driver, but some of you must be worse than me for it to be kicking in as much as you say. Mine has only kicked in once when I hit some standing water on the interstate while driving 90 mph straight into tropical storm barry.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what happens as far as steering when it kicks in? I haven't gotten my '08 yet but I drive up and down a windy mountain road each day (in 2WD, of course) and want to be prepared for what it feels like when it kicks in so I don't drive off a cliff.

And I can turn it off by holding the button down for a bit, right?

Quick Reply: Who likes the ESP?