Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue

Old 12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner and had an improvement afterwards?

I saw an improvement by switching to 5W-30 but I still burnt over a quart in 1,300 miles. I plan on using the MCCC next weekend. It is a foam that you spray into a cold engine and leave overnight. I read on another forum that some dealerships were doing this to burners and having success.

It seems that a lot of the burners show their true colors at around 40k miles. Maybe it's due to the carbon buildup that accumulates after putting some miles on the 3.8. Maybe not. For $9/can I'm going to give it a try.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

MCCC probably won't do anything different than sea foam or any of the others. It should remove some of the carbon build up. Here is what the carbon looked like on one bank in my engine. Click image for larger version

Name:	pistons.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	252031Click image for larger version

Name:	heads.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	252032

Cleaning out the carbon will probably help with the pinging but as you can see there is a lot of carbon which is there because there is a lot of oil and/or poor combustion. I personally am going to add pcv valve and combustion cleaner as a regular maintenance procedure. I still think there are issues with the pcv system.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a tick in my enigine that has been there forever. Starts as soon as i hit 2500 RPM and ends at 2900RPM. Do all of you have this same issue? Mine does not burn any oil and never has. Sounds like a damn sewing machine but seems to be worse now in the mornings beofre it warms up.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by duneslider
MCCC probably won't do anything different than sea foam or any of the others. It should remove some of the carbon build up. Here is what the carbon looked like on one bank in my engine. Attachment 252031Attachment 252032

Cleaning out the carbon will probably help with the pinging but as you can see there is a lot of carbon which is there because there is a lot of oil and/or poor combustion. I personally am going to add pcv valve and combustion cleaner as a regular maintenance procedure. I still think there are issues with the pcv system.
Thanks for posting those pictures. I picked up a PCV valve the other day and am just waiting for a day off to put it in. I'm going to pick up the MCCC today.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirstypirate
Thanks for posting those pictures. I picked up a PCV valve the other day and am just waiting for a day off to put it in. I'm going to pick up the MCCC today.
Make sure you click on the link to the removal/replacement write-up first. It's real easy if you know the trick to it, otherwize it can be a major PITA trying to get the old PCV valve out of its nest in the rocker cover:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...30#post1773730
Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepsride
There is a lot of noise about oil consumption. Who has successfully fixed this issue. I also have the tricking noise which may be the spun bearing issue. Who has successfully resolved this.

We have many annoyed people with this please let us know:
1. Any ways you resolved or helped these issues (PVC valve, 30 wt oil...)
2. Steps to document issues with Chrysler (Could help with a recall)
3. What made the dealer act and replace the engine or perform a big service to fix these issues

I want this to be the thread thread that is the beginning and end of this issue. I have the same issues and want them dealt with. We have enough people and knowledge on this site to figure this thing out.
My 2008 had a noticeable start-up tick noise from the valve lifters when I purchased it used. The oil consumption may have been slightly high too, but since the oil was changed after only about 300 miles post purchase, and the decrease was small, I'm not confident of the accuracy of reading the dipstick.

0w30 synthetic is my preference over the OEM 5w20 recommendation, and that's what I changed it to. The engine was flushed with a detergent flush (amsoil) for about 15 minutes idling just before the oil/filter change. I also used one of amsoil's rather expensive oil filters that should have a quality back-flow valve -- The leaking of which is a likely cause of start-up lifter noise. The flush was cheap insurance, presumably it helps to get any gunk loosened up (around piston rings, valve lifters, etc) and into the oil filter that's getting thrown away.

Afterward, no more start-up lifter ticking. Oil consumption is undetectable after 1500 miles.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
I have a tick in my engine that has been there forever. Starts as soon as i hit 2500 RPM and ends at 2900RPM. Do all of you have this same issue? Mine does not burn any oil and never has. Sounds like a damn sewing machine but seems to be worse now in the mornings before it warms up.
It might be one of the heat shields vibrating. All rotating machines have RPM ranges with a bit more vibes, and one of the heat shields might have a weak mounting or weld, or just something too close. Might be worth a crawl under while someone (who isn't a beneficiary of life insurance) holds the RPM's at ~2700 in neutral.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
It might be one of the heat shields vibrating. All rotating machines have RPM ranges with a bit more vibes, and one of the heat shields might have a weak mounting or weld, or just something too close. Might be worth a crawl under while someone (who isn't a beneficiary of life insurance) holds the RPM's at ~2700 in neutral.
Nope unfortunetly, its definetly internal. Specifically from the drivers side head.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKlad
Make sure you click on the link to the removal/replacement write-up first. It's real easy if you know the trick to it, otherwize it can be a major PITA trying to get the old PCV valve out of its nest in the rocker cover:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...30#post1773730
Looks simple, thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

The ticking on our 2007 JKU isn't consistent but it is frequent enough for me to be concerned. However when I check the oil level a couple months after an oil change it is usually down a quart. My first car didn't even use that much oil. I use Mobil 1 extended synthetic 5W20.

Quick Reply: Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue