Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue

Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run rotella t6 5w40 for a while now. Love it so much I put it in my gsxr, Audi and f150
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

The catch can thread, does anyone remember where that catch can thread is for the PCV valve. If someone knows where it is please post the link.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepsride
The catch can thread, does anyone remember where that catch can thread is for the PCV valve. If someone knows where it is please post the link.

Thanks
Yeah I looked for it too....
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Here's one thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Oil-Catch-Can

It's not the one that I'd seen before where the guy purchased one, but I'll keep digging around for it.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mtb856
Here's one thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Oil-Catch-Can

It's not the one that I'd seen before where the guy purchased one, but I'll keep digging around for it.
Thanks for digging that up
Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stepsride
Great information. Where did you get the 4.35 qt data. That is interesting and would explain why everyone is going through all this oil. It makes no sense especially with the the IDIOTIC EPA!! I am surprised Jeep did not get knocked for that oil going into the environment. Also pretty typical of Chrysler for not paying attention to details.

I just changed to Amsoil 10w40. I am curious what will happen. I also just changed the PCV valve. I will update soon.

I was using the 4.35 figure purely as an example. Everyones default oil level is going to be a little different. I'm just stating the fact that many folks may be adding oil to an engine that has too much in it aready. Dip sticks are not always marked exactly right. I'm sure this is not the case for everyone, but it happens.

I keep reading that guys are adding 3 to 4 quarts every 3000 miles, and then CHANGING their oil. I'd love to have the oil they are throwing out. It's practically new. Spin a new filter on every 4 to 5 K & never change it again.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive got an 09 and havent lost more than half a quart ever. Maybe this is limited to certain runs of engines.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door

I was using the 4.35 figure purely as an example. Everyones default oil level is going to be a little different. I'm just stating the fact that many folks may be adding oil to an engine that has too much in it aready. Dip sticks are not always marked exactly right. I'm sure this is not the case for everyone, but it happens.

I keep reading that guys are adding 3 to 4 quarts every 3000 miles, and then CHANGING their oil. I'd love to have the oil they are throwing out. It's practically new. Spin a new filter on every 4 to 5 K & never change it again.
You still want to drain the oil pan. That.is where a lot of the trash settles
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
You still want to drain the oil pan. That.is where a lot of the trash settles
I hear ya there, but these motors that are going through 4 qts every 3000 miles are on their last leg anyway. Their compression readings must be low, just like the oil pressure. it's just a matter of time. Hopefully they are putting lots of coins into the Hemi fund.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door

I hear ya there, but these motors that are going through 4 qts every 3000 miles are on their last leg anyway. Their compression readings must be low, just like the oil pressure. it's just a matter of time. Hopefully they are putting lots of coins into the Hemi fund.
Yep it is pathetic what these motors consume. There is no excuse other than poor quality parts and no quality control

Quick Reply: Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue