Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue

Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by STCjpr
It's official-

My 08 3.8-powered Town & Country that has 40k miles on it and burned 5qts of oil in 2k miles is getting a new engine.

Apparently that's what it takes.
Wow! Unbelievable. Glad its getting fixed
Old 01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and I both- that 6MPG nonsense was getting expensive.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

I've got 65k on my 08 JK and the rod bearing went out. Had to dig up all the receipts for the oil I purchased but from what I understand the dealer wont cover (at least this one) anything under warranty if its anything but 5w20. Now I just have to wait and see if they cover this.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got 70k on an 07, I must be lucky but it has never burned any oil. I run 5qts of Mobil one5w20 and 1 quart of Lucas synthetic oill stabilizer. I never have to top off inbeteeen 3k service intervals, and I have absolutely zero tick. I hear of people complaing about how bad theirs burns oil but I have yet to experience it myself, I must of lucked out big time.

Last edited by Boyerracing343; 11-01-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

I'm at 80k miles on my 2008 jk.. Use to run mobile one 5w 20 and it used a quart every 1k miles

Glad I had dealer do the service so I have records or oil changes cause I've had a lifter tapping for the last 10k miles and the power train is one of the ones with a lifetime warranty. About 5k ago I gave up one mobile one and had dealer do cheap 19.95 oil change special. We'll dealer used their Pensoil and guess why the oil consumption went from 1 qt per 1k to 1/2 quart per 1k. But the lifter when I first start it is tapping.

Any recommendations for oil additive to stop tapping?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I 08 jku with 94k. I use 5w30 Castrol synthetic blend. I burn about 1/2 qt every 3k miles or so. I change my oil every 5k. I went to 5w30 Bc I had a ping in the motor. Sense I change d to 5w30 I don't here it as bad I did.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea Dog
I'm at 80k miles on my 2008 jk.. Use to run mobile one 5w 20 and it used a quart every 1k miles

Glad I had dealer do the service so I have records or oil changes cause I've had a lifter tapping for the last 10k miles and the power train is one of the ones with a lifetime warranty. About 5k ago I gave up one mobile one and had dealer do cheap 19.95 oil change special. We'll dealer used their Pensoil and guess why the oil consumption went from 1 qt per 1k to 1/2 quart per 1k. But the lifter when I first start it is tapping.

Any recommendations for oil additive to stop tapping?
Here's what I've done, and suggest it's worth trying: When you change the oil next, use some of this engine flush. The directions say to add the flush, idle the engine for 15 minutes, then drain the oil, replace the filter, and add new oil. Instead, idle it for an hour to give it more time to dissolve the varnish and other crud.

If the lifter noise is due to some varnish, this will probably fix it -- it did mine. Cleaning up varnish and deposits also frees up the piston rings, which will tend to reduce oil consumption and blow-by.

Lastly, after the flush, drain and filter change, I'd suggest using a 5w-40 oil that has an SN or SM rating (amsoil DEO or mobil 1 for example). It has the same cold start viscosity as 5w-20, but is slightly more viscous at operating temperature -- which will very likely reduce oil consumption. You'll also notice how much quieter the engine is. And yes, I've done some oil analysis even though it should be obvious that the only drawback of 5w-40 is a potential (imperceptible) decrease in MPG and power.

Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out if you try this.

Quick Reply: Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue