Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Whew ... thought I fried my E-Disco today .....

Old 07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whew ... thought I fried my E-Disco today .....

Was wheeling today and we were all trying to work our way up a stream bed ....

Rock ledge slid under my bumper and thoroughly smashed my E-Disco connector. It wasn't until further up the trail did I notice my SWAY BAR LIGHT flashing. Got out and looked underneath and saw the destroyed connector.

I wheeled the rest of the trail with the Sway Bar locked ... luckily it locked after the damage.

When I got home I cleaned up the connector and verified all the pins looked good and the wires weren't cut. The two ground wires lost some insulation but nothing was cut. Since I smashed it in a stream it was full of water.

After drying and cleaning everything out I plugged the broken connector back in just to see if I could get the blinking swaybar light off. No good. I ordered a new Harness from MOPAR and figure I'll try to new connector when I get it and HOPEFULLY I didn't fry the E-DISCO motor.

Since I added the E-Disco to my X ... there is no warranty.

While looking at the E-DISCO install PDF I noticed the wiring diagram showed a 30 AMP fuse.

I popped the cover off my fuse box and sure enough ... even though my X didn't come with an E-DISCO there was a 30 AMP fuse for it. And guess what ... it was BLOWN. When the connector got smashed it must have grounded out all the wires and blew the fuse.

Stuck a new 30 AMP fuse in there and sway bar is working and light is OUT ...

Just gotta wait on my new connector to complete the repair.

I know that lots of guys have E-DISCO issues and bring them to the dealer. Just want to remind you to check the FUSE first if you have a flashing sway-bar light.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
sounds like you got pretty lucky! I'm assuming you don't have your motor flipped?
I had it flipped ... but then I installed an after market bumper and it did not fit with it flipped due to the winch tray being in the way ... so I had to flip it back ....

Quick Reply: Whew ... thought I fried my E-Disco today .....