Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Where is my oil going?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennny
Sad to say, you have the same motor and no changes were made from 2010 to 2011. I just got my jeep back with a new motor installed for the rings failing. Seems that about half the people with JK's come across this problem eventually.
I dont think HALF is an honest answer. All vehicles, ALL manufactures have service problems with particular vehicles. What makes you think HALF of all JK owners have this problem?

I think its more like HALF of all people with PROBLEMS are having oil burning and engine troubles.

I would put the figure more at maybe 1% of JK owners are having engines replaced. AND THAT IS A very lucrative number. Probalbly more like a fraction of 1%.

But I may be wrong, just my $.02
Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjminner
just changed the oil for the first time in my 2011. I only drained out five quarts. should i be concerned yet because i cant verify that it had all 6 to begin with, or should i not freak out til next oil change because i know that i put 6 in this time?
Losing 1 quart every 5000 miles isn't really anything to worry about. Just continue to keep an eye on your oil level frequently.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

A great majority of these 3.8l use oil, it's nice to see that nothing changed in 2011.
My 2010 did the same thing about 1/4 of a Qt, Use 5w30 and you will see your use drop to about 1/4 - 1/2 Qt. Mine stopped after I switched.

It is a problem, no modern engine should use oil period!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

mine uses about 1 quart every 5000mi synthetic oil change

Quick Reply: Where is my oil going?