Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Where is my oil going?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Henri
Hi Widewing. I haven't checked the oil between oil changes. And off course the time the dealer did the oil level remained normal. I didn't add any oil to it either since I hadn't checked it. Besides I'm not dealing w/a 200 thousand miles engine here so it shouldn't go/burn oil like that.
There's part of your problem right there.
People who own/drive vehicles need to check things once in a while. That's good maintenance practice.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I check mine every time I get fuel.
She used to burn a qt or two every 3,000. Since I turned 20,000 on the engine, it seems to have stopped!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are only three ways an engine can lose oil. Leaking, burning and passing through the crankcase as a mist and ultimately into the combustion chamber from below. That last one would be what I would look at first. It would be cause by a restricted PCV system. If you're not seeing any smoke out of the tailpipe, or any leaking, the PCV system is where I'd put my money.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no oil leak marks whatsoever, and that's what's confusing.....
It's not leaking... What you are seeing is normal oil consumption.

What you need to do, at the minimum, is to check your oil level at increments not greater than 500 miles. Every fill up would be even better. Buy a couple of extra quarts of oil when you change oil. Keep one quart in the storage cubby under rear floor. When you find the oil level is down to the fill mark on the dipstick, add the quart. Put another quart into the cubby for the next time.

Keep the crankcase filled, and the next time you change the oil, you'll drain the proper amount of oil.

I can't overemphasize how vital is is to maintain the correct volume of oil in the engine. Should you suffer engine damage due to a lack of oil, it will not be covered under warranty. Damage could be something like scuffed pistons, worn valve train or damaged main bearings. Perhaps one day you may notice a knock on start-up that goes away as oil pressure increases. That is a strong indication of worn bearings. One day, the knock won't stop. Eventually, you'll spin a bearing.

Please, follow the procedures in the owner's manual.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Hi Widewing. I haven't checked the oil between oil changes. And off course the time the dealer did the oil level remained normal. I didn't add any oil to it either since I hadn't checked it. Besides I'm not dealing w/a 200 thousand miles engine here so it shouldn't go/burn oil like that.
Read my last post... You must check the oil frequently and replace that which is consumed.

If you don't do this, sooner or later the engine will be damaged. When the dealer tears it down, damage from oil starvation is easy to identify. What that means is that the repairs will not be covered. You will pay for the repair yourself, and that can run into several thousand dollars.

So, please read and follow the basic maintenance requirements in the owner's manual. You're damn lucky not to have killed the engine already.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM
JK Jedi

I used to run Royal Purple until I felt it was using more oil than it should be. Then I read here on the forum that a few others noticed the same thing. They changed brands and so did I. I'm running Mobil 1 and so far so good. Next time you change your oil you might consider changing to a different brand and see what results you get.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

I run Mobil 1, no oil loss of any signifigance every 4-5000 miles. Maybe 1/2 quart if that at the most.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
Read my last post... You must check the oil frequently and replace that which is consumed.

If you don't do this, sooner or later the engine will be damaged. When the dealer tears it down, damage from oil starvation is easy to identify. What that means is that the repairs will not be covered. You will pay for the repair yourself, and that can run into several thousand dollars.

So, please read and follow the basic maintenance requirements in the owner's manual. You're damn lucky not to have killed the engine already.

My regards,

Widewing
Cool I'll check the oil every so often. I know that any damage wouldn't get covered but my whole point is that I shouldn't loose 4.5 bottle of oil every change and I shouldn't have to carry oil bottles in the back like I'm driving a beater. If there's a problem I'd like to find where it is so I can get it fixed. I'll change to Mobile 1 like some have suggested, not sure Royal Purple is to blame but I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check your oil before you drained it?? Was it reading anything on the dipstick?? Is it possible the drain plug in the pan is clogged and you never got All of the oil out?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Someone had already mentioned the oil filter and you said you checked that, but i have seen twice now where the old gasket from the filter stayed behind and the shop did not catch it and put a new filter on. The double gasket resulted in a severe leak, which may not leave as big of a trail as expected, but a puddle somewhere... I am sure this is not your problem, but for others doing and having your own oil changes be aware.

Quick Reply: Where is my oil going?