Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Where is my oil going?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is my oil going?

I changed the engine oil yesterday and noticed that not a whole lot came out. So I poured it back on the empty oil bottles and it turns out I only got 1 1/2 back. This is not the first time this has happened and I don't know what to do. I have taken it to the dealer before for that problem and the only thing they do is put engine dye and check it after a thousand miles (they checked it once and said it was ok). I know I'm putting 6 bottles in so my question is where is the rest of the oil going? The engine doesn't have any oil marks, and there's no oil drops when I park. My exhaust seems to be normal (it's not white, or smells funny) so I don't think it's burning the oil. Any suggestions on what's going on before I blow the engine?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Henri
I changed the engine oil yesterday and noticed that not a whole lot came out. So I poured it back on the empty oil bottles and it turns out I only got 1 1/2 back. This is not the first time this has happened and I don't know what to do. I have taken it to the dealer before for that problem and the only thing they do is put engine dye and check it after a thousand miles (they checked it once and said it was ok). I know I'm putting 6 bottles in so my question is where is the rest of the oil going? The engine doesn't have any oil marks, and there's no oil drops when I park. My exhaust seems to be normal (it's not white, or smells funny) so I don't think it's burning the oil. Any suggestions on what's going on before I blow the engine?
Here's one suggestion that will may save the engine...

Check the oil level every week!!!!! Keep the crankcase full, record how much you have to add (if any) every week.

Second thing... Are you draining the crankcase on level ground?

How often do you change the oil (in miles)?

If you had an external leak, you would see oil everywhere on the underside.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-24-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickc309
It has to be burning it, I'd check it every 500 miles and keep a log for the dealer to understand the amount it's consuming. If you need a quart in 500 you have bad issues.
I thought the same too but I really don't think it is. My understanding is that you can smell when you burn oil & you get white smoke. I had a jetta before that burned oil and the exhaust from the jeep it's normal
Old 09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
Here's one suggestion that will may save the engine...

Check the oil level every week!!!!! Keep the crankcase full, record how much you have to add (if any) every week.

Second thing... Are you draining the crankcase on level ground?

How often do you change the oil (in miles)?

If you had an external leak, you would see oil everywhere on the underside.

My regards,

Widewing
Yeah the oil change is done on level ground. I usually change it every 3500 to 4000 miles. Yesterday it was at 5400 when I changed it.
I'm using Royal Purple fully synthetic 5w-20 (as recommended by the manual) & K&N oil filter.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed the engine oil yesterday and noticed that not a whole lot came out. So I poured it back on the empty oil bottles and it turns out I only got 1 1/2 back.
Holy Crap! you drained your oil pan and only 1.5 quarts came out? you were down a gallon... didn't your oil pressure warning light come on?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the oil change is done on level ground. I usually change it every 3500 to 4000 miles. Yesterday it was at 5400 when I changed it.
I'm using Royal Purple fully synthetic 5w-20 (as recommended by the manual) & K&N oil filter.
How often do you check your oil? I ask because engines do tend to burn more oil when using low viscosity synthetics. Burning off a quart every 1,500 miles is not unusual. However, that means over 5,400 miles you may burned off more than 3.5 quarts. And counting what is still in the filter, that pretty much accounts for the amount you were able to drain out of the crankcase.

Over that 5,400 miles, you should have had to add at least two quarts, and depending upon engine condition, maybe another 1 to 2 quarts.

How much, if any oil did you add in between changes?

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-24-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Holy Crap! you drained your oil pan and only 1.5 quarts came out? you were down a gallon... didn't your oil pressure warning light come on?
Nope nothing came on
Old 09-24-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
How often do you check your oil? I ask because engines do tend to burn more oil when using low viscosity synthetics. Burning off a quart every 1,500 miles is not unusual. However, that means over 5,400 miles you may burned off more than 3.5 quarts. And counting what is still in the filter, that pretty much accounts for the amount you were able to drain out of the crankcase.

Over that 5,400 miles, you should have had to add at least two quarts, and depending upon engine condition, maybe another 1 to 2 quarts.

How much, if any oil did you add in between changes?

My regards,

Widewing

Hi Widewing. I haven't checked the oil between oil changes. And off course the time the dealer did the oil level remained normal. I didn't add any oil to it either since I hadn't checked it. Besides I'm not dealing w/a 200 thousand miles engine here so it shouldn't go/burn oil like that.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler only considers it to be abnormal if you are burning more than 1 quart per 1000 miles, so according to them this is normal. I would check around the oil filter to see if you are having any oil leaking out from a gasket mising, or it might not be tight enough causing a minor leak.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Chrysler only considers it to be abnormal if you are burning more than 1 quart per 1000 miles, so according to them this is normal. I would check around the oil filter to see if you are having any oil leaking out from a gasket mising, or it might not be tight enough causing a minor leak.
There are no oil leak marks whatsoever, and that's what's confusing.....

Quick Reply: Where is my oil going?