Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Where to get a *nice* hood lock on the cheap

Old 11-16-2011, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
Will *my* key work on *your* lock????

Hope not for $150
No, the cylinder is "blank" until the first use when it matches to the key used.

BTW, it matches to the cutting (teeth) of the key, not the transponder.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood lock

The rugged ridge hood lock was a waste of money....I threw mine in the trash. Going to go with the mopar hood lock!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
The Rugged Ridge lock doesn't work, mine is back in the box after an annoying attempt to make it work.

I ran a wire cable through the hood hinge and down around the crossmember, clipping it together in front of the radiator with a padlock. Pretty secure.
I think that would be the best solution for locking the hood. I saw a utube video of a guy putting a padlock on the front of the hood, down by the grill. Nice and secure, not much rattling. It is done on a TJ, but should work for a JK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA6UE5Ny5d8
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

The rugged ridge lock is a waste of money. Mine dont work at all....
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet

No, the cylinder is "blank" until the first use when it matches to the key used.

BTW, it matches to the cutting (teeth) of the key, not the transponder.

Correct. However, just found one bad feature about the Mopar. The key cannot be removed in the open position. That is, we must put it back in locked to remove the key.

Any way to circumvent this? I'd rather leaving mine in open while on the trails. Never know when I'll need to open the hood without turning the engine off because I have to use the key.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
I've seen the mopar, not sure how it works but looks clean, $150 - I don't think so.

What else is out there?
I put the MOPAR on a few months ago and it does look and work well. If anyone does plan on installing it make sure you have a rivet puller that can pull the four big rivets it comes with. Easy install, but you're right - pricy.

Quick Reply: Where to get a *nice* hood lock on the cheap