Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

When replacing Radiator??

Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When replacing Radiator??

I am replacing my damaged radiator in my 07 JK. What happens if I do NOT reinstall the plastic shrouds and flaps (attached with plastic pop fasteners). Will it cause a lot of extra noise? Airflow issues?
Thanks
Old 05-24-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect it could reduce the amount of air going through the radiator and subsequently degrade it's ability to cool. When the vehicle is cruising at highway speed those flaps probably help create a bubble of higher pressure air in front of the radiator. With lower pressure on the back side it would create some acceleration of air through the radiator. Either that or they keep the bug guts out of the engine compartment

Last edited by HillCountry_Cowboy; 05-24-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree it does control air flow. I doubt it will make any noise without those pieces
Old 05-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air will take the path of least resistance and that's why vehicles have shrouds around the radiator.

Quick Reply: When replacing Radiator??