Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wheel speed sensor ?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel speed sensor ?

My ABS ESP/BAS light have been on my bubby ran the code and the front right wheel speed sensor is out. Called around and none of the auto parts stores around here have it for a manual transmission and with ABS, I dont have a stealership around here and dont have time to drive to one need to get the part offline. Has anyone had to change one and might have a part # and where I might order one. I went on the JEEP website and found the part but they wheren't very specific, since apparently there are many different kinds of speed sensors.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Have you looked at yours to see if it is disconnected or broken?

68003281AA is the part number for the sensor and its portion of the harness.

Check with some of the sponsoring vendors to see if they have it.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-11-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Before you replace the sensor, make sure the gap of the sensor to the reluctor rings is correct and disconnect the connector and inspect the connector terminals to make sure they are clean and no corrosion and the connection has very low resistance. You can connect a DVOM to the wheel speed sensor and spin the wheel and the DVOM will tell you if there is a signal or not. It there a signal, the sensor is probably good.

If you still need a new WSS, you can call a Chrysler dealer. If the dealer you call does not have the part, they can use their parts locator and find a dealer that does. At that point you can decide to drive to the dealer or have them send it UPS.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

There is no way to check the gap between the sensor and the tone ring on the front wheels of the JK.
The part number in post two is a factory part number. It would be nice to try a JK-Forum sponsor first.

I believe Wyckoff Parts is a sponsor. His site shows it for $10.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-11-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure the sensor is the only problem. I had the same code and when I yanked it apart I realized the hub bearing was bad and that caused the tone ring to rub the sensor and chew it up.

Quick Reply: Wheel speed sensor ?