Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What's the name of that little shock absorber on the steering system?

Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the name of that little shock absorber on the steering system?

I experienced death wobble and that little shock absorber is leaking so I'm thinking that's the problem considering the wobble happens while hitting a bump while turning. I figure that shock absorber isn't doing what it's supposed to do. Everything else looks okay but I haven't tried to tighten anything. No broken track bar links etc.

A week ago I noticed my steering getting shaky when I hit bumps while turning so I figured the death wobble was coming and yesterday I got a nice case of death wobble at the end of 19th avenue right before getting onto the Golden Gate bridge. I was only going 30 or so so it wasn't too frightening but the shaking was quite intense for a few seconds. I knew exactly what to do though from having read about it on this site I just took my foot off the gas and it went away after a few moments.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had mine done yesterday - it was leaking so I had the dealer replace it under warrenty. Took about 30 minutes at the dealer. They had the part in stock so I suspect that I'm not the only one with the issue. I have an 08 Rubicon with about 8000 miles on it.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering Stabilizer and it won't do a damn thing for your death wobble. All a steering stabilizer does is absorb bumpsteer (the shake in your steering wheel from hitting bumps in the road).

Death wobble is caused by the entire Jeep vibrating at a certain frequency (between 4 and 10 Hz). That range allows the vibration to amplify and get worse. Changing your speed can either dampen or amplify that vibration.

There is currently no known cure for death wobble, although there are many treatments. My hypothesis is that if you put steel dampeners in places along the frame of the Jeep it will effectively reduce and/or prevent death wobble. Alas I am only in my first two years of engineering school so I haven't found out where they should be placed.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

yea go with an aftermarket one like TF or RC the stock one is junk
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin

Old 04-09-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4jkx
Steering Stabilizer and it won't do a damn thing for your death wobble. All a steering stabilizer does is absorb bumpsteer (the shake in your steering wheel from hitting bumps in the road).

Death wobble is caused by the entire Jeep vibrating at a certain frequency (between 4 and 10 Hz). That range allows the vibration to amplify and get worse. Changing your speed can either dampen or amplify that vibration.

There is currently no known cure for death wobble, although there are many treatments. My hypothesis is that if you put steel dampeners in places along the frame of the Jeep it will effectively reduce and/or prevent death wobble. Alas I am only in my first two years of engineering school so I haven't found out where they should be placed.

"Death Wobble" is a term that can be wrongly applied to different situations.

I had a wobble in my steering wheel when I hit bumps at different angles. (kind of what the OP is describing) I removed my stock steering stabilizer and discovered it was broken/leaking. It made a squishy sound and had an inch of travel before any resistance. I replaced it with a TF unit and my bump steer symptoms are now gone.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

4x4jkx, death wobble is no longer a mystery. Many people have solved it.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Shredx my situation sounds like yours. Perhaps I don't have death wobble but instead have what you experienced. I'll have the steering stabilizer replaced and keep you all posted.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

603 posts and doesnt know what a steering stabilizer is!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

The dealer told me my stabilizer is leaking, too. Boy I hope they have those in stock; seems like every little warranty fix has required multiple trips. I will find out tomorrow.

Quick Reply: What's the name of that little shock absorber on the steering system?