Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What's leaking here?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, update.
I took it to the dealer's service department, who says the leak is coming from, iirc, the camshaft sensor, NOT the timing cover as I suggested to them. The service writer, however, does not believe they checked for the service bulletin, and he, himself, claimed to be unaware of the porosity issue.

My question would be, is a faulty cam sensor seal a plausible explaination for the leak pictured above? It was quoted as a $200+ job, not covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like they are trying to screw ya. On a side note, why is the CAM sensor not covered??? The CAM's are part of the drivetrain, kind of a crucial part, actually.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, it's a dealership. Getting screwed is part of the package.
I have an appointment with the service manager tomorrow morning to look at it again. He says the porous timing cover TSB doesn't apply to my rig (which was built 12 days after the cut-off listed in the bulletin).
It looks to me like the camshaft position sensor is in the same neighborhood as the leak, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, the camshaft would be covered. But apparently not this sensor -- or its allegedly-leaky O-ring. The warranty lists specific components of the engine and drivetrain that are covered ... and it specifies also that seals and gaskets are covered FOR LISTED COMPONENTS ONLY. The sensor is not listed.

I think it's horseshit. But I think he's right.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration
damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger
housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

seals and gaskets for listed components only, thats what he is seeing

Might be coverd under smog thou

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 05-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
Looks like an internal part to me, might be part of smog control too
That's what I thought initially. Can anyone verify where exactly this part (and its O-ring) is?
I thought that plug seen in the center of my picture was leading to it. But I'm clueless.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Splash
That's what I thought initially. Can anyone verify where exactly this part (and its O-ring) is?
I thought that plug seen in the center of my picture was leading to it. But I'm clueless.

Also check your state emission laws

Cost of sensor anywhere from 30 to 50 bucks

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 05-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

So where's that diagram from and what do the numbers refer to? As I mentioned above, I was thinking the sensor was what would be No 3 in that diagram. It appears as though the seepage could be coming from there or that bolt at No 4 -- and I'm sure that's the conclusion the dealer's tech jumped to.

My warranty booklet outlines the emissions warranties. Cam position sensor isn't among the covered components for either the 2- or 8-year flavors.

What would my state laws have to do with warranty coverage?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Splash
My warranty booklet outlines the emissions warranties. Cam position sensor isn't among the covered components for either the 2- or 8-year flavors.

What would my state laws have to do with warranty coverage?
They require the auto MFG to repair emissions it supersedes MFG warranty coverage
Old 05-23-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, thanks, Willys.
Probably doesn't apply to me. In Missouri, only St. Louis area has vehicle emissions rules to meet. But I'll ask if the sensor plays a role, anyway.

Fingers crossed.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

For anyone interested with a similar leak ...

Service manager now diagnoses it as the lower intake manifold. Part on order.

Quick Reply: What's leaking here?