Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What's going on with my brake pads?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
you're not alone, i've done mine once already at 25k and last time i looked they're getting down there again. must be a jk thing as on all my other vehicles the fronts alway went first.

Been lucky so far...with my pads, but I think it helps a little having the 6speed to downshift.

I know all my other vehicles...I usually went through 2 front pads to every 1 rear pads....as I thought 70% of your braking power was from your front pads & rotors.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just replaced mine at around 40k as well....rears were down to the feelers, fronts had plenty left but replaced anyway.....i have a 6-speed as well and i'm pretty sure wayoflife does too so i don't think that saves you anything with regards to the braking at least for everyday highway driving...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, just had the rears on the DW s car done and they only had 31 K on them.
According to the shop, everything checked out fine with them.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

28k on ours before it had to have rear brakes. I was shocked - I'm used to getting 60k. This time though, it isn't just a Jeep thing - my brother has a Chrysler mini-van and a Sebring and he says both of them are the same way.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default thanks

Thank heavens for this board. I thought i was losing my mind. Never have i seen a vehicle take out the rear pads first. 44k on the odometer. so i guess i was lucky after reading the posts. thanks to all for clearing my logic. And big thanks for enabling me to knock out at Teraflex 2.5 lift in a few hours time.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

What have you all been replacing them with? OEM or aftermarket?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

i went with Duralast cmax gold ceramics, parked the jeep til the weekend when ill have time to drag her into the garage and do it. 60 bucks and lifetime replacement and based on the posts i will again and again and again. Free from here on in, well maybe
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I disabled my ESP because of this.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Keep in mind that the $60 lifetime pads will eventually eat through your $160/pair rotors before they are worn out.

Those lifetime pads are very hard, and don't stop as well when you really need them to. Most don't see this because when they are in a panic braking situation they looking at other things than the performance of the pad.

If they stop in time, they feel everything is ok. If they don't its usually the "situations" fault and not the substandard equipment they bought to save a few dollars.

Day to day you probably won't notice a difference, until its time to buy rotors or avoid a crash.

Stock Jeep pads stop well, and the system is engineered to this "known quantity". Some aftermarket pads offer a more aggressive bite, and that can be good or bad depending.

I use Hawk pads on my cars with more simple brake systems, but on the Jeep I'll stay with OE.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mcgeeusmc20
I disabled my ESP because of this.
Yes, I agree with disabling it...in reading my manual it says you can disable the ESP by holding the switch down for 5 seconds...shouldn't anyone going off road be doing this anyway?
When I'm wheeling I would not want the computer diagnosing and adjusting to my instinctive driving skills anyway.
The manual describes all the driving 4wd/2wd modes and some of them automatically disable the ESP. I'll have to look that up again.

Quick Reply: What's going on with my brake pads?