Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What's going on with my brake pads?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's going on with my brake pads?

My brakes started squeaking so I replaced the factory pads with Hawk pads this weekend. Looking at the front and back pads, the front still looked new compared to the back pads. My experience with brakes is that the front always wears out first.
I've got 43k miles on my jeep, so why did the rear pads wear out so much faster than the front? At first I thought it was a caliper, but both rear sets are wore about the same, so that's not it.
Could the ABS or limited slip set up have anything to do with it? I've seen a few other guys talk about their pads wearing out fast and others say they have very little wear.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anytime the ESP is used the rear brakes are actuated. Plus figure the new rear pads are fairly thinner than the front to begin with, normal on a JK
Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
anytime the ESP is used the rear brakes are actuated. Plus figure the new rear pads are fairly thinner than the front to begin with, normal on a JK
In addition I'm told by a reliable scorce, for safety purposes, the master cylinder is set up to provide a bit more pressure to the rear.
Just had the wifes 07JK unlimited in for the annual state inspection, and the rear, although passed, were border line. This with 24K miles on the JK
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Add to that, the rear pads are half the size of the fronts. Replaced rears at 18,000- 3/4 worn out, just replaced fronts at 38,000m a little less than half worn.

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-01-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

ESP and BLD don't kick in often enough or with enough energy to cause that much wear.
Brake biasing to the rear during normal/light braking is more likely. With the more capable ABS systems today, there is no need to worry about the rear brakes locking up like the old days. Heavy braking would be biased to the front. Today's computers can take all of this into consideration.
On the JK the computer tracks brake pressure, and speed of the pedal. It knows when you want a front braked panic stop.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
ESP and BLD don't kick in often enough or with enough energy to cause that much wear.
Brake biasing to the rear during normal/light braking is more likely. With the more capable ABS systems today, there is no need to worry about the rear brakes locking up like the old days. Heavy braking would be biased to the front. Today's computers can take all of this into consideration.
On the JK the computer tracks brake pressure, and speed of the pedal. It knows when you want a front braked panic stop.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.
You bet ESP kicks in hard if you wheel hard in 4-hi like half the people here do without knowing their brakes are holding them back.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, the esp/bas will burn through your rear brakes. i'm on my 3rd set now.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Oh. Ok.

I still believe MOST break wear occurs on the road where Most Jeeps spend more time than off road.
A lot of front wheel drive cars wear out their rear pads faster, too.
I'm not trying to convice anybody. Just saying..

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-02-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Oh. Ok.

I still believe MOST break wear occurs on the road where Most Jeeps spend more time than off road.
A lot of front wheel drive cars wear out their rear pads faster, too.
I'm not trying to convice anybody. Just saying..
Run your jk in Louisiana mud with the BLD, you'll just how quickly off-road eats them up, and it don't take much off-roading to do it.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

you're not alone, i've done mine once already at 25k and last time i looked they're getting down there again. must be a jk thing as on all my other vehicles the fronts alway went first.

Quick Reply: What's going on with my brake pads?