Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Whats this fluid?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
It must be contageous. I was under mine today and a slight seeping on the crimped fitting.
Is it cold where you are? You know what why don't we face the facts. The fricking crimped hose is a piece of shit! The trans cooler on the wifes Suzuki is fine. 120,000 miles and no leaks. Frick sakes, every six months..REALLY??
Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...my trans lines are leaking too. I just tied in a B&M trans cooler and used the brass barbed fittings. Can i just cut the metal crimped lines out and use the rubber hose that i used for the trans cooler?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Ok I have the same leak(the 2 lines just under the coolant tank if you were looking straight up from underneath) and my power steering fluids a bit low. My question is this, some posts say its a tranny line and some say its from the power steering so which one is it?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
you have a weak crimp in one or more of those connectors from the metal to the "rubber" line(s). Those are the lines to and from the transmission cooler.

needs to be re-fastened or replaced.
yea that is what mine did but not that bad dealer replaced watched them do it took like 10 min jacked in the air looked fairly easy.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep20x
Ok I have the same leak(the 2 lines just under the coolant tank if you were looking straight up from underneath) and my power steering fluids a bit low. My question is this, some posts say its a tranny line and some say its from the power steering so which one is it?
your description sounds like the trans lines. To be sure, follow them to see where they go. Or post a photo.

or check out the posts earlier in this thread for some photos of trans lines and power steering lines:

Last edited by Jiblet; 02-09-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Well I'll be damned took another look and the hose says transmission on it plain as day! I'm thinking it just started because I checked the level twice and its fine. And no drip spot any where I usually park. Maybe all this cold we've been having.. Shrinkage you know!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep20x
Well I'll be damned took another look and the hose says transmission on it plain as day! I'm thinking it just started because I checked the level twice and its fine. And no drip spot any where I usually park. Maybe all this cold we've been having.. Shrinkage you know!
trans hose is marked to differentiate it from the very similar-looking fuel hose. Trans hose is made to withstand the heat and pressure.

I can only guess why the engineers put in a short section of hose in the line. (dampen vibrations??) But those crimps have leaked on quite a few rigs.

good luck with the shrinkage.... and the transmission, too!

you do have an auxiliary cooler, right?

Quick Reply: Whats this fluid?