Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Whats this button do?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the ESP button. You have to hold it down until you hear a chime to turn it off (mostly) :/ . Also if you are interested, there is a way to fully disable the ESP.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
One of the basic things to do when one gets a new vehicle is read the manual.
Sure, we can answer his question, but what about all the other things in the manual he needs to know?
Now, if there was something he read in the manual that he didn't understand, people would be jumping through hoops to help him.
The best advice we can give him right now is "Read the manual."
Totally agree...much needed information in the manual
Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
... how do i disable this so i can have fun in my first snow with the jeep?...
Cody--It gets a little complicated and, at least for those of us with 2007s, it depends on what software our Jeep is running, and whether we've done certain, additional procedures to make the switch work differently. So that's why I, personally, am hesitant to tell you what yours does--they vary a bit. I will say that with mine if I hold that switch down longer, it goes into more of an off mode (but not completely off). But there's also a way to turn it off even more using weird things like turning the key of and off, rotating the steering wheel, and standing on your head. Okay, maybe I exaggerated there a bit, but do you see why many of us don't want to get into it? Truly, the best thing to do is to read you owner's manual, along with any update bulletins that the dealership may have given you for software changes. You can download the owners' manual here (ignore the buy/purchase button and just press on through--it's free of charge):

Download Free Copy of Owners' Manual (.pdf)
Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
One of the basic things to do when one gets a new vehicle is read the manual.
Sure, we can answer his question, but what about all the other things in the manual he needs to know?
Now, if there was something he read in the manual that he didn't understand, people would be jumping through hoops to help him.
The best advice we can give him right now is "Read the manual."
i never got one...as youy read in 200 threads they didnt come with one..

and to ppl who did help me.. thank you much appriciated.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
i never got one...as youy read in 200 threads they didnt come with one..

and to ppl who did help me.. thank you much appriciated.
You don't even recognize that I tried to help you.
I know you said yours didn't come with a manual.
That's why I said you should download one back in post #5. Maybe you didn't read that post.
Post #13 also suggested you download a manual. Lots of help and information in the manual.
This is a great forum for getting information about the JK. But it can't take the place of your own efforts to get and read the manual.
Sorry if you didn't see my advice as helpful. I was just trying to nudge you in the right direction.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Old 12-19-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by grizzjeeper
Jeez. I guess I need to read the manual from now on before I ever post a question on here. ...
I notice that even those who criticize that the question was not answered did not, themselves, offer much of an answer. Perhaps that's because they didn't know the answer, or they know that the answer will become very long and detailed in order to address every possible configuration of Jeep and software update, and that there's a good chance they'll make a mistake in their own writeup. In my owner's manual, the operation of that switch takes six pages to cover. And there are an additional two pages for the software update that the dealership applied. And that doesn't include all of the necessary references to related systems, such as BAS, ERM and TCS.

If OP would refer to the manual and any software update sheets he's been given by the dealership, then he will learn the correct answer for his Jeep, rather than the correct answer for my Jeep or someone else's. Once he figures out what configuration he's running, and whether he's taken steps to override the function of ESP, then he can approach with more detailed questions that are more appropriate for this forum.

Further, his question was how to diasble the ESP. Again, there are several modes for it, and there are also a couple of hardware mod's running around JK-Forum that even more fully disable ESP. I guess the problem is, without having read the manual, the OP does not really know how to ask the right questions. That's why the answers are so weak in this thread.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-19-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grizzjeeper
Jeez. I guess I need to read the manual from now on before I ever post a question on here. Hell why even have a forum? maybe just paste the manual on here and nobody would even need this site.. half the fun of a FORUM is for the conversation... Sometimes even the simplist question leads to something else that isnt in the manual and we can all learn from.
OK, try not to get off on the wrong foot. There are thousands of jeepers posting on this public forum and we all have our own opinion of what fun is. You're bound to get some helpful and some not so helpful responses but generally speaking this is THE BEST Forum for answers to anything jeep.

The button you speak of is the Electronic Stability Program button. The flashing light during acceleration indicates it's working and the tires have begun to loose traction. It reduces the throttle when you see the light flashing.

For partial off (for use in snow, sand, or gravel) momentarily push the button.

To turn completely off press and hold for 5 seconds.

If you go over 40 it will automatically switch back to partial off from completely off or just hit the button a second time.

In 4l it turns itself off.

Don't take this wrong but if you bought your jeep from a dealer demand a copy of the manual, without one you are a liability to the dealer and Chrysler....in other words you could choose to file a suit against them if you can prove that you or your jeep were injured due to not knowing something important about the operation of your jeep that was contained in the manual. I know that chrysler use to make their salesman go over operation with the customer prior to leaving the lot. Not sure if they continue to do so.

Just my opinion...we all got one along with well...you know what!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by AZ Red Rock Rubi
.... To turn completely off press and hold for 5 seconds....
Doing this does not turn ESP completely off. To turn it completely off requires either a hardware mod, or following the "head standing" procedure (I kid, of course) in the manual and/or software update sheets. And some contend even that does not turn it fully off.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Below is another, related thread. Again, anyone wanting to follow the suggestions in that thread would be better off knowing what, exactly, he's disabling in each mode. In order to properly do that, he needs to understand the function of the ABS, TCS, BAS, ERM and ESP. All of them work in conjunction with each other to make the JK a safer vehicle to drive. Some of that is counter to what we need off-road, which is why we are coming up with ways to disable what we generically refer to as ESP.

Disable ESP? Thread

Quick Reply: Whats this button do?