Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What to use on rubber door seals

Old 11-12-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by webejeepin
I always take this time when I swap tops to spray down all the seals with silicon spray. I just use the Canadian tire silicon lube spray, hit them all wipe it down, even use that little spray tube to get into the little holes found in some seals.

X2, Silicone spray on the seals = no leaks and no sticking. Reading on the forum most have guessed at reasons for leaking tops, and one common guess was that a dry seal binds/creases when contacting another seal leaving an opening for water to funnel in.

I started doing this day one and have not had a problem with leaks although it could be that we've been in a drought.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 on 303 that stuff works wonders on the flares too!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Petroleum jelly will really make a mess of your clothes if you brush up against it after it has been on you door seals for a while.

Used to live in Lake Tahoe and the dang doors would freeze shut, tried that and really learned my lessen when it bagged a white uniform shit on the way into work.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dealer recently put some kind of grease, hopefully silicone all over the front drivers and passengers door seals. It still leaks on the passengers side and now I have greasy seals that stick to my clothes and will surely be a mess once a little dirt gets on them. How are you guys who grease your seals dealing with this issue? I've used spray silicone before and it leaves no trace and mostly evaporates like brake cleaner so this greasing of seals is new to me.

Quick Reply: What to use on rubber door seals