Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What are the tailgate louvers for?

Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the tailgate louvers for?

Pulled my spare carrier off today and saw this vent type thing on the tailgate. It looks like it's there to let excess air pressure out from the inside. Just seems unusual since I've never noticed anything like that on other vehicles. Anyone know the story?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff
Pulled my spare carrier off today and saw this vent type thing on the tailgate. It looks like it's there to let excess air pressure out from the inside. Just seems unusual since I've never noticed anything like that on other vehicles. Anyone know the story?
You're' correct. It allows the pressure to equalize. Usually cars just rely on the air intake to flow both ways.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Since it will be 115 in the shade in Tucson soon...It's a good thing they are there!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mastiff
They are there in other vehicles. Usually in the trunk area, between the carpet and the outer fenders so you can't see them.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Love Monkey
Since it will be 115 in the shade in Tucson soon...It's a good thing they are there!
It's funny, now that I'm in AZ I don't want to take the top off the Jeep in the summer because I'll bake. In the midwest the top situation was easier to deal with - off for the summer, on the rest of the time.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The rear vent in vehicles is to provide for flow-thru ventilation; in the front vents, and out the rear vents.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

You will find them on pick up trucks on the rear of the cab between the cad and the truck bed. Look down in that small space while closing the door.......you will see one of the reasons they are there.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had water get in to mine..

I wonder why??? LOL
Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

They are called air extractors. I think it does help with the ventilation but the main function is to release the pressure in the vehicle when the doors are being closed. Otherwise they may not latch properly. It effects the door closing efforts.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bstpierre
They are called air extractors. I think it does help with the ventilation but the main function is to release the pressure in the vehicle when the doors are being closed. Otherwise they may not latch properly. It effects the door closing efforts.
The front vents alone would relieve pressure when closing the door, if that's what it was all about.

In order for air to come in the front, it has to escape somewhere, and the low pressure area behind the vehicle is ideal for that.

Quick Reply: What are the tailgate louvers for?