Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What size tires can i use on a stock jk?.....40" enough already

Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size tires can i use on a stock jk?.....40" enough already

Okay I'm a patient and accepting guy, but I still get tired of the weekly barrage of "What size tires..." questions. This won't end the questions or people being unwilling to do simple searches or reading the frequently asked questions before posting the same question for the 5th in one day but...

I (my opinion only) believe that if you are going to get into something - climbing, kayaking, bicycling.. and especially off-roading you should be well informed, do some research and have some training or classes to make you at least a little knowledgeable about what you are doing.

So for all you interested in what size tires you can put on your stock JK, and you haven't done any research into what Jeep has done over the past 70 years, here's what you can do with your stock JK.

Jeep Lower-Forty: Based on an essentially stock Jeep Wrangler two-door, Jeep engineers whittled away large amounts of the Jeep’s sheet metal, allowing for the concept’s 40-inch tires without the use of a lift kit. However, custom fender flares 1-icnh wider and 4-inches higher than stock were required to fit the massive wheels and tires.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shit, i think it would take a little more then what you listed. but i would hate to pop a bead! or get a flat with all that rubber
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freak
Man, there sure is a lot of false information being spread about that thing.
What information? Many of us have seen it.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

that Jeep may be "no lift", but it's far from stock. the engineers who did it called it "the most expensive way possible to fit 40's on a JK. they modified the frame (a lot), made new bumpers, fenders, flares, hood....
Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a quick article about it:
hXXp://www.insideline.com/jeep/mopar-underground-flexes-muscle-with-jeep-lower-forty-and-grand-canyon-ii.html
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bacon
that Jeep may be "no lift", but it's far from stock. the engineers who did it called it "the most expensive way possible to fit 40's on a JK. they modified the frame (a lot), made new bumpers, fenders, flares, hood....
Sorry no. No frame cutting. The frame is inboard of the hubs and wheels. They have had this at Moab the last two years. There is fender and fender-well modification but that's about all. You can't add tire height over 35" without some mods but the mods needed for this application are far less involved than a high-quality lift.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Sorry no. No frame cutting. The frame is inboard of the hubs and wheels. They have had this at Moab the last two years. There is fender and fender-well modification but that's about all. You can't add tire height over 35" without some mods but the mods needed for this application are far less involved than a high-quality lift.
my bad, no frame mods. that being said, it's far from stock, and far from "fender and fender-well modification".

good article on it:

.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_0908_2008_jeep_wrangler_jk_lower_forty/index.html[/url]

Here's just a part of it:

To quote Allen, "this is the most expensive way to put 40s on a JK." Why you may ask? The Underground team left virtually no body panel untouched when it went to town on an unsuspecting production 2-door JK. The grille has been reworked for clearance, the front fenders and hood line have been severely modified to move everything up and out of the line of fire of the big Mickeys, and the rear wheelwells, flares, and tubs have all been opened up and raised. The flares are 1-inch wider and 4 inches higher than a stock JK and the hood is molded from carbon fiber. The front bumper got the heave-ho in favor of a mean, clean unit built to squeeze between the factory tow hooks.

that's hardly "far less involved than a high-quality lift". super bitchin' JK. super hard to replicate. Man I'd love to have it.

Last edited by mkjeep; 07-31-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: no non sponsor clicky
Old 07-31-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

now they've done it. They can't get any warranty work done on their Jeep because of those mods.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Take note

There is a reason you don't see a spare on this rig. I am willing to bet that if this was available someone out there would be asking "HOW MUCH TIRE CAN I PUT ON THIS?" I think Tonka toys are responsible for this.

I am amazed that so many people think the way to solve a problem is to throw more money at it. Oh wait, that sounds like something I heard going on somewhere else.

Learn to handle the issue with the tools at hand, it's the American way.

Quick Reply: What size tires can i use on a stock jk?.....40" enough already