Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What PSI needed for sand ?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by berg
What beaches in NJ do you drive?

What size tires do you have?
I fish from Brigantine south to Cape May in Jersey and Cape Henlopen down to Fenwick. I used the KJ for 4 years and never have a problem. The JK has the stock goodyear SR-A's on 17 rims.

I use the oasis deflators and with the kit comes a sliderule thingie that shows suggested tire pressure for the tire size/vehicle weight. I'll have to check it out this afternoon and see what it suggessts.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Easy test...for sand, you want flotation, which means the largest surface area tire foot print you can get.

So, air down to a guess point, and use the string technique, chalk technique or puddle techniques...like drive through a puddle so you come out the other side leaving a track.

Adjust, and see if it gets fatter/longer or not. A LONG foot print helps more than just a WIDE foot print in sand (Think tank track, etc...) to avoid bogging down.

So, when adjusting the surface area, the total is important, but if you have a choice with your tire size, etc....maximize the length of the foot print.

To see the length, just take a string, and loop it around the tread bottom....pull both ends straight out, and measure between them. You can do the same thing to get the width, just pull the string the other way so the ends span the width of the tread instead, etc.

What ever PSI works, that's your sand PSI.

The next compromise is the bead-blow psi limit...which you won't know now, but I'm guessing from the SRA's on my TJ, etc...is probably not much lower than 12 psi or so.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=TEEJ;290509] A LONG foot print helps more than just a WIDE foot print in sand (Think tank track, etc...) to avoid bogging down.

Jip, this is what I tell my new students when we go out to the sand dunes . When you drop to a very low pressure ( we go down to 1 bar for the front and .8 bar at the back) your tyre foot print will be longer, and your traction in sand will increase.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all

I still didnt test it on 15 .. If I reached the top of the hill I will photo it

thanks again

Quick Reply: What PSI needed for sand ?