Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What PSI needed for sand ?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 isn't aired down, more like under 10 is what is considered aired down. I usually run 7-8 and sometimes as low as 5-6. You'll be much happier aired down to that.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living most of my life near Pismo Beach we spent alot of time there. Airing down to 10 psi will work great, nothing I could not get out of at 10psi. We climbed comp hill all day long, sand hwy, everywhere. I have seen guys with bigger tires air down to 5 psi, no problem. On stock size tires going to 5 psi would be to low. I would not go any lower the 8 psi myself on stock size rubber.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Just Curious .... I run BFG A/T 265 75 16s and aired em down to about 4-5 psi last time out at the dunes. Is this too low for these tires?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

I drive the Delaware and New Jersey beaches. I only air down to 17 psi and havent had any problems.

Isn't it easy to roll a tire off the bead with a stock rim at such a low pressure? My biggest fear is breaking 2 beads below the high tide line and getting stuck with incoming water
Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Flukinuki
I drive the Delaware and New Jersey beaches. I only air down to 17 psi and havent had any problems.

Isn't it easy to roll a tire off the bead with a stock rim at such a low pressure? My biggest fear is breaking 2 beads below the high tide line and getting stuck with incoming water
What beaches in NJ do you drive?

What size tires do you have?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DragRag
Living most of my life near Pismo Beach we spent alot of time there. Airing down to 10 psi will work great, nothing I could not get out of at 10psi. We climbed comp hill all day long, sand hwy, everywhere. I have seen guys with bigger tires air down to 5 psi, no problem. On stock size tires going to 5 psi would be to low. I would not go any lower the 8 psi myself on stock size rubber.
Yup, I used to run 8psi in Pismo. Man I miss that place. Sand highway . I was in a 2wd full size Chevy, and drove all day & night without getting stuck!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crux
Yup, I used to run 8psi in Pismo. Man I miss that place. Sand highway . I was in a 2wd full size Chevy, and drove all day & night without getting stuck!
I used to run Pismo at 10psi and had no problems, except, I miss it too....
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

3 quick tips for deep sand driving, besides airing down enuff, but not too much.

1.) Steady foot on the throttle.....nice and easy wins the race.

2.) Momentum, momentum and momentum......once you get going....DONT STOP!!!...until you get to harder sand or a harder bottom...

3.) ESP off.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sgmrock
I used to run Pismo at 10psi and had no problems, except, I miss it too....
I don`t miss getting sand in every place, even the really tight ones .
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the most important thing is to make sure the ESP is off, to me that is more important then tire pressure. Here in New Mexico we have lots of soft sand and I can tell you that you could have sand paddles on your JK and the ESP system will steal your power and bring you to a stop quicker then shit.

Now don't get me wrong, air pressure is still important and the lower you go the better it will do. The problem is that every tire/wheel combo and terrain is different so the trick is to find the lowest pressure that works with out going so low that you pop the bead off the tire. If you wheel in a soft sand area you might want to look into getting some bead lock rims so you don't have to worry about it.

I have the stock 32" tire 17" rim upgrade and I normally run about 15psi.

Quick Reply: What PSI needed for sand ?