Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What oil are you guys using?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty12JKU
Have used Mobile 1 0W-30 since new. Last week I tried the new Penzoil Ultimate Synthetic 5W-30. I will be going back to the Mobile 1 long before the recommended oil change interval. I am going to put 500 miles on this Penzoil then look at sending off a sample for analysis. I'm not impressed with it. After going back to the Mobile 1 I plan to do the same just to find out if I'm hearing things.
What're you hearing? It usually the M1 that people complain about as noisy.

What do you expect the oil analysis to show or not show?
(Are you using the new pure plus GTL pennzoil, ultra or platinum?)

My 3.8 has has a steady diet of M1, 5w-20 since I drained the factory fill. But I couldn't resist the fuel rewards promo so I am currently running the platinum pure plus 5w-20. Can't really feel or hear a difference. All I really hear is the injectors. After 1,000 miles it's staying steady on the dipstick (but so did the M1).
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kylelever
Motorcraft 5w-20 with Mopar filter. Worked in the F-150. Good enough for the JK. If Mopar sold oil at Wallyworld, I would run it.
Mopar is currently using SOPUS as their supplier. So plenty of choices at walmart. Pennzoil yellow bottle or the synthetics, great oils.
Not that the motorcraft oil would let you down, it's good stuff too.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put six quarts of Synthetic 5-20w Valvoline and a 'premium' Mobile 1 oil filter. Not sure what I expected to happen but it continues to operate the same after 62,000+ miles. Maybe next oil change I'll get the flux capacitor working. Just need some plutonium and 1.21 gigawatts of power!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Amsoil Signature 5w-30 and a Wix filter will be it's diet for eternity . Even with the mild built LS1 that's going in soon.

Not that the new engine was what I considered "loud", but changing the oil dropped 90% of the valvetrain noise.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Fram PH3614 filter.... fell a little behind and just did a change @ 6500mi since last and oil still looked pretty clean...
Old 06-16-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ArcsJK
Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Fram PH3614 filter.... fell a little behind and just did a change @ 6500mi since last and oil still looked pretty clean...
I'd bet the oil had plenty of life left in it.

But that filter, not so much. That's more of a 3,000 mile filter.

Now, the new XG 3614 ultra filters, you could leave one on for two of those oil intervals.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

This noise only occurs at start up from a cold engine. Very noticeable valve noise for about 3 seconds. It started right after I swapped to Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic with pure plus technology SAE 5W-30. It was so startling that I shut the engine off and jumped out to check the oil. My Jeep sits for normally 2-3 days in between trips, so this is a common startup condition for me. Being logical, I realize this may not have anything to do with the oil at all. This could be me just starting to see signs of the head issue since I still have the AB heads. This could be simply do to the 5W vs 0W that I had been running and not the brand. Thinking that possibly the thicker while cool 5W takes slightly longer to flow to the heads, meaning the other did the same but a slight time difference is enough for me to perceive it differently. Maybe the Mobile 1 formulation leaves better residual lubrication after oil run off while sitting that makes this noise less noticeable.
The thought of oil analysis is to see what metals are in it. If they are very different amounts over the same mileage and driving conditions, then in theory the one with less metal would indicate less wear occurring during the testing period. Granted this is not the ideal scientific test due to so many variables and would not be a good indicator of any other vehicles results, it is simply to look at my particular scenario. If the differences between the two results are statistically indistinguishable then it would indicate that both oils are performing as desired and that the noise is merely due to viscosity and that the same grade of Penzoil would sound the same.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10w 30. Standard. Still in trial run.
Each piston still has good compression of 179psi.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Smitty12JKU
This noise only occurs at start up from a cold engine. Very noticeable valve noise for about 3 seconds. It started right after I swapped to Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic with pure plus technology SAE 5W-30. It was so startling that I shut the engine off and jumped out to check the oil. My Jeep sits for normally 2-3 days in between trips, so this is a common startup condition for me. Being logical, I realize this may not have anything to do with the oil at all. This could be me just starting to see signs of the head issue since I still have the AB heads. This could be simply do to the 5W vs 0W that I had been running and not the brand. Thinking that possibly the thicker while cool 5W takes slightly longer to flow to the heads, meaning the other did the same but a slight time difference is enough for me to perceive it differently. Maybe the Mobile 1 formulation leaves better residual lubrication after oil run off while sitting that makes this noise less noticeable. The thought of oil analysis is to see what metals are in it. If they are very different amounts over the same mileage and driving conditions, then in theory the one with less metal would indicate less wear occurring during the testing period. Granted this is not the ideal scientific test due to so many variables and would not be a good indicator of any other vehicles results, it is simply to look at my particular scenario. If the differences between the two results are statistically indistinguishable then it would indicate that both oils are performing as desired and that the noise is merely due to viscosity and that the same grade of Penzoil would sound the same.
You have a 3.6, right?

If you had a 3.8 I'd say maybe your oil filter had a bad anti-drain back valve.

On the bright side, top quality oils like you use have great anti-wear agents in the additive packs to protect during boundary lubrication events.

Good luck with it. I hope it's not the head issue.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Amsoil 5w/30

Quick Reply: What oil are you guys using?