Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What is needed to carry surfboard on roof?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is needed to carry surfboard on roof?

I pick up my new surfboard next week. It is 8'8". I have an unlimited but would prefer to carry the board on the roof. I don't want to get a full rack just to carry the board. Any suggestions or mods I can do to carry it with top on or off?? I need to be able to mount some pads so I don't damage the board.

Reason I don't want to carry inside is for one, 8'8" will extend into the front seat and I have the Tuffy Box in the rear cargo area. I am not willing to take it apart each time I go surfing.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to use a portable(veh to veh) board rack, secured throughout the vehicle, the kind you run through the cab and shut the doors on it. Has two round foam pads with straps on front and back. Most board shops and wind surf shops have them, about $40 if I remember correctly. Don't use mine much anymore with a full rack now.
When the top was off, used one pad on front windshield the other on the sound bar, held a 8'6 spyder and 6'7" rusty with no problems. Worked well with doors off as well
Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

cool man, thanks. I'll check out our local shops and see if they have that.

would I be able to tie them off somehow or does it need the doors closed to secure it? My doors probably wont go back on until September.

edit: nevermind, missed that last line that it works well with doors off. long day on the water today

Last edited by captjay; 03-19-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yakima and Thule both make rain gutter roof rails. You can then strap your surf board to the rails.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, found the pads that strap through the Jeep. It's called Magnum Quick Strap Sports Rack. works great and was only $38. appreciate the replies
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

FCS Soft Rack. Get a double and you can carry multiple boards.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

FYI I've had the soft padded racks w/ the straps that go through the windows and they are a real pain because of 2 reasons:
1: The straps that go through the windows run right across where the driver/passenger's heads would be in the front seats and unless you're really short the ride is gonna be really uncomfortable. If you have a 2 door you need to have 2 straps running through the front driver/pass compartment, if you have a 4 door it would be a little better bc obv only one strap through each set of windows.
2: IT IS LOUD! Those straps will flap around and vibrate like crazy on the highway.

IMO the Thule gutter rack for the hard top or the "Crossroad Railing" mount where you can just mount it to the roll bar w/ the top down is a lot more solid and stable, however runs around $300...

Quick Reply: What is needed to carry surfboard on roof?