Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What makes a clutch last long or fail early?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not so sure I understand what all of you mean by "slipping" clutch?

What is double clutching?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian
Here are my tips

1. The electronics throttle in the JK will actually keep the engine from stalling if you start out without giving it any gas and slowly letting out the clutch.
What is this feature called? I know you can slowly let the clutch out and engage it without giving it any gas but I don't see the jeep responding with more throttle. Only in 4lo.
Are you saying you can't stall yours?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dinojeep

What is this feature called? I know you can slowly let the clutch out and engage it without giving it any gas but I don't see the jeep responding with more throttle. Only in 4lo.
Are you saying you can't stall yours?
Yeah, it works in high range as well.

The way the programming works, it doesn't actually give the motor more throttle per sec (as in opening up the throttle body & increasing revs as would be the case with physically pressing the gas pedal) but rather by adjusting the ignition timing and EFI programming (ie: increasing the injector pulse width) to greatly increase torque at idle RPMs. Touching the gas pedal cancels the programming & will result in a stall unless you feather the clutch accordingly.

It still is possible to stall out while this programming is active by dropping the clutch very suddenly on a hill with the HSA active or by trying to idle up a stupidly steep incline in high range with the tall 3.21 diffs (Rubi drivers with the 4.10s report that they can literally stand on the brakes & it won't stall in 2-hi).
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When down shifting in any gear blip the throttle to match revs and this will smooth the transition and not jerk so much nor slip the clutch
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 97jeeperdrummer
Thats exactly what I said... Its there to prevent you from rolling backwards on a hill.. It replaces the need to modulate 3 pedals/use parking brake to hold your position..
Yeah. All I saw was the part about it being there so you don't have to slip the clutch.

Quick Reply: What makes a clutch last long or fail early?