Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What kind of damage???

Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of damage???

Took my jeep to the dealer for inspection on April 5th. They called and told me what I needed. I was advised the transmission cooler line was leaking. Being that I have the lifetime engine and transmission warranty on it I told them to do it. Didn't want to have an issue down the line with the transmission and be told it was because of the cooler lines. Fast forward to the 9th and was pulling into a parking lot and feel the transmission slip. Not sure what was going on I hit the gas and felt it slip again. Finally get to a spot and look underneath the jeep and fluid everywhere. Tow truck comes and the operator tries to drive it onto the flatbed and it won't go into gear. He tells me looks like the cooler line broke. Fluid is everywhere so it was under pressure. Dealer calls tells me it was the cooler lines and they will fix. Get a call from the dealer and tell me that it is done and a clip broke on the line causing it to spill everywhere. Was told it was fixed and should never happen again. I pick it up and drove it about a mile and the same thing starts to happen again. Surging and hammering into gear. I was on a road that has no pull offs so I throw on my blinker till I can get to a place that will allow me to pull over. By the time I get there it won't even engage in gear and I have to push it to the curb. Transmission fluid all over. Call and have it towed again. Now my question is could my transmission be fried because of this??? What should I tell them to look at??? And has anyone ever heard of this before?? i am beyond pissed.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trans is probably not fried they just dont work for shit when they are low on fluid. once you really get it fixed to where it dosent piss fluid all over and fill it back up to normal levels it should work properly again.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Slightly different animal, but had a similar experience with an all wheel drive Mercury mountaineer. Trans lost fluid at 33k. Fixed under warranty. Did not replace the trans. A week later, same thing happened. Took it to a different dealer. They said the first dealer made an error with an o ring causing the fluid to leak out. That had to be more than 10 years ago. The trans was never touched again. I towed a 3500 pound trailer with it. My father in law now has the mountaineer and it has well over 200,000 miles and the trans is still going strong.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an '08 JKUR and it was a recall to replace the cooler lines. When I went to pick it up from the dealer there was a pool of tranny fluid under the Jeep. Luckily I noticed and they fixed it on the spot.

Quick Reply: What kind of damage???