Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

what to do to store top.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny - I keep my hardtop in the livingroom when I take it off, too - I hate living in an apartment.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know if the back part of the hard top on a four door will fit through a normal sized door? I would love to store it in my basement if I can?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hang mine on my garage wall. I found a post about this a year or so ago and decided to give it a try. It uses the least space of any method I have seen. I picked up 2 heavy duty hangars at Home Depot. Secured them in studs, slighly wider than the top. I stapled an old piece of carpet on the wall so that the top never rests on the wall itself. The top is positioned with the front towards the ground, and the roof against the wall. I use 2 2x4's across the hangars to hold the top in place, resting against what I assume you would call the "C" pillar. I also wedge some styrofoam in between the top and the wood to protect where they come into contact. Sorry I can't add pictures since my hardtop is still on my Jeep. As soon as the weather here in Michigan looks better I'll post some pics.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkyyz
Does anyone know if the back part of the hard top on a four door will fit through a normal sized door? I would love to store it in my basement if I can?
My basement has the double doors. My brother's TJ top fit through just fine. The JK is a bit wider, and as I scraped the edge I realized it. (Now I've got some white showing through on the bottom of my hard top.

I assume you mean to turn it on its side and then bring it in. I believe that this will work though a normal size door... though I haven't measured.

Just make sure you have at least one friend to help, though 2 helpers makes it much more manageable.

(When I brought the Hard Top out last fall, I had it on its side, but again, I had double doors)

Last edited by eaglemikeo; 04-17-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepdave
I hang mine on my garage wall. I found a post about this a year or so ago and decided to give it a try. It uses the least space of any method I have seen. I picked up 2 heavy duty hangars at Home Depot. Secured them in studs, slighly wider than the top. I stapled an old piece of carpet on the wall so that the top never rests on the wall itself. The top is positioned with the front towards the ground, and the roof against the wall. I use 2 2x4's across the hangars to hold the top in place, resting against what I assume you would call the "C" pillar. I also wedge some styrofoam in between the top and the wood to protect where they come into contact. Sorry I can't add pictures since my hardtop is still on my Jeep. As soon as the weather here in Michigan looks better I'll post some pics.
That does sound interesting. I'm just curious if that puts too much stress on the "C-pillar" area.

(and it would be C Pillar if its 4door, B Pillar if its a 2 door...)
Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

I'll measure the hard top tonight and post them in the morning but I guess If some peolple are storing them in there apartment I'm assuming they have normal sized doors?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

It seems to handle it fine. I hung it all last summer without any issues. I can't take the credit for the idea though, it was something I read about on the board last year.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Here's a link to another forum, shows what a friend of mine did. 8th post in this thread, also more pics on page 2

http://www.baystatejeepers.proboards...ead=841&page=1

I don't know if you need to register or not
Old 05-26-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

I just made a simple "rack" to store the top and panels in/on. There is foam padding around the top rim of the rack and where the panels lean against the center supports. I have since covered it with a tarp and secered it with straps.

Cost was around $60 and it took an hour to make.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default made my own

I made my own storage cart with 40 bucks worth of stuff from lowes. I put it in the show and tell portion of this but here is the general idea:

It saves a ton of space, is easy to move, and folds during the winter when the top is on the jeep

Quick Reply: what to do to store top.