Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

what to do to store top.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stored my top ( and a friends ) outside on the ground. I put down some wood to place it on but I kept the tops very close to the ground ( because I didn't want wind to knock them off a stand of flip them over ). I covered mine with a tarp but my friend chose to leave his uncovered. Neither one had any problems except that when the season was over they were both very dirty. His obviously from being exposed. On mine it seemed living things decided it was great protection. There were spider webs all over the place and the inside was very dirty ( maybe an animal was kicking up dirt under there? ).
Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be storing my hard top in a relatives garage floor for the summer . I plan on getting two "mover's blankets" form Harbour Frieght. Folding one over placing the top and the two freedom panels on it and then covering the all the pieces with the other blanket. The blankets are about $8 each and provide some decent padding.

Tj
Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer83l
I personally would not do what greytsilly does. I had a YJ that I stored the top outside under a tarp... til a nice windstorm came and lifted the top and sent it soaring across the yard.. wasted it, all windows broken and it was cracked in a few spots. Keeping the hardtop indoors is crucial.

my 2 cents

Greysillys would work for some windstorms.....It wouldn't take much to slam some wood or metal stacks with bolt holes into the ground and then bolt it through the bottom of the frame legs to tie the frame to the ground. Or you can bolt the frame to the shed wall. Once the frame is secured...just cover the top with a car cover or sheet and add 2 tie down straps on the top and hook to the wood frame and this should prevent it from lift off from a wind storm..... but not hurricane or tornado force winds mind you!!!!

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 04-08-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had an old sleeping bag that I didnt use anymore. So I placed the hard top on there and then covered it up with a tarp.

I would love to get a hoist system, but I already have a lot of crap in my garage. I might try to save some cash for that Hoss storage system.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l
I personally would not do what greytsilly does. I had a YJ that I stored the top outside under a tarp... til a nice windstorm came and lifted the top and sent it soaring across the yard.. wasted it, all windows broken and it was cracked in a few spots. Keeping the hardtop indoors is crucial.

my 2 cents
Get a couple screw in ground anchors and tie it down, problem solved.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

I have to keep mine outside for the summer and Im afraid the sills are going to get messed up for some reason. Should I put some lubricant on them? Should this be a worry? I plan on wrapping it in 1 or two tarps and tieing those to prevent rain from getting in. I guess at the end of the summer I can just spray it off if its dirty?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jpwv
I have to keep mine outside for the summer and Im afraid the sills are going to get messed up for some reason. Should I put some lubricant on them? Should this be a worry? I plan on wrapping it in 1 or two tarps and tieing those to prevent rain from getting in. I guess at the end of the summer I can just spray it off if its dirty?
With the seals, I'd say keep it out of direct sunlight. Adding some lube might not be a bad idea either, just be sure to clean it before reinstall.

Big thing is rubber and UV. Keeping it undercover or inside is nice. I keep mine at my storage unit, on the concrete floor with some old foam mats between the top and floor. Works well so far.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice Rack!!

I've put my TJ tops in the garage in the past but haven't even touched the JK top yet. The soft top is still taking up space in the rear. I sold my son my TJ and don't have room in the garage with the 4 wheelers and the Wagoneer taking up valuable space. I used just took the front panels off last year and that worked awesome. I was thinking about a self storage unit to share with my son and some friends but this tack is a great idea. VT zoning would give me a hard time though since they find a problem with anything.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

It costs more than it should, but Bestop makes a wheeled rack that stands the hardtop up. It's handy because you can easily wheel it out of the way if you need to get behind it. They also make a cover, but I opted for an old blanket instead. If you want to store it inside and have limited space, it's a great option.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

LOL i don't have a hard top so the soft is staying on, but it will come off from time to time and probably sit in my living room! I still live in an apt...unless I leave it at the gf's house .......

Quick Reply: what to do to store top.